Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Isis BBs have always been disposable. Run them until they get crunchy, then chuck them and shell out another $50 for a new one. The bearings die because the grease washes out and dirt and water contamination destroys the roller balls and race surfaces.

The FSA beats the Truvativ Isis BBs in terms of durability (mine is many years old), but they eventually die too. Here is a way to prolong the life of any of your Isis BBs.

Put the BB in a bench vise, grab a dremel with a cut-off wheel, and carefully grind down through the BB shell in the center. At the moment you first break through the shell, stop, and switch to a small drill bit, and finish by making the hole nice and round so that the tip of a micro grease gun fits evenly. Here you can see that my FSA Platinum DH has been around the block a few times, but is still hanging in there:

Now you can put a large tube of grease on your gun and start pumping. I use Johnson outboard motor grease- it's very thick, sticky, and "webby". There is a pretty big void inside the BB so it takes a while to displace all the air. Eventually you fill the whole thing and the grease is forced out through the outer seals:

Finally, to seal the hole I wiped the shell clean and gave it a few wraps with good electrical tape, and then slid a section of road bike tube over the spot for good measure (grease tends to soften the adhesive in electrical tape). The result is a BB that is smooth and nicely damped.

·
bored ex-shop rat
375 Posts
Nice done and a good idea, it will prolong the life of the FSA a lot :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.