Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post that it went well and was really pretty simple, so any of ya that are thinking of doing this, don't hestitate to go for it. Feel free to give me a shout if you need instructions, Id be happy to walk you through how. Bottom line, the only tricky parts are not losing bearings (drink beer after the job is done to help on this front) and getting the axle the proper length on both sides (which is just simple trial and error). Otherwise, if you can turn a wrench, you can do this conversion.

Peace all, let me know if I can help.

nam

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yep, did this with my deore hub on the surly. On SS I am a big fan of a 15mm hex nut holding the wheel in place. Maybe I am paranoid. Maybe it is because I weigh in over 230 in gear. At any rate, simple upgrade with positive results.

Glad you had some fun with it. But, it is far more entertaining to drink first and during the service than after. What kind of hub?

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dsb1829 said:
Yep, did this with my deore hub on the surly. On SS I am a big fan of a 15mm hex nut holding the wheel in place. Maybe I am paranoid. Maybe it is because I weigh in over 230 in gear. At any rate, simple upgrade with positive results.

Glad you had some fun with it. But, it is far more entertaining to drink first and during the service than after. What kind of hub?
you might be right! XT hub btw. I swear it rolls smoother now too (amazing what some good grease and the the proper cone adjustment will do). Still chasing the freakin bearings with a couple Coronas in me would have been entertainment in itself to anyone who might have been watching!

Glad yours went well too. Talk about paranoid though, Im still using a drive side tug even with the bolts. You doing that too or are the bolts holding well enough?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts