Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible to convert RS Tora SL 29er to Race 29er? The SL doesn't have Motion Control and the Race does. Can the damper cartridge be swapped to do this conversion, and if so is that the only part that I would need? How much is the damper unit?

Wow...no Motion Control on Tora 2010 29er?!?!?? That sucks! WTF is RS thinking?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I don't know about the 2010's, but the older Tora's could be upgraded with the Argyle damper cartridge to achieve Motion Control with Floodgate adjust. Poke around the SRAM service site for exploded views/parts lists of the different forks. See if the 2010 Tora with motion control uses the same uppers/lowers etc as the version without. If that checks out, see if the 2010 version with Motion Control is using the same damper as the older Tora. If that checks out, order up an Argyle damper for ~40-50 and have MoCo with Floodgate.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Tora damper which has no adjustable floodgate. I have not been able to find an Argyle damper anywhere, but they could be out there somewhere.

On a semi-related note, I found out that the newer Tora's share lowers with the Reba and can be converted to a 20mm Maxle! I'm jealous that these don't fit me '08... it would be a lot cheaper than a whole new fork

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Natedogz said:
Is it possible to convert RS Tora SL 29er to Race 29er? The SL doesn't have Motion Control and the Race does. Can the damper cartridge be swapped to do this conversion, and if so is that the only part that I would need? How much is the damper unit?

Wow...no Motion Control on Tora 2010 29er?!?!?? That sucks! WTF is RS thinking?
About $50 for a MoCo compression unit for the Tora...the 26er and 29er units are the same thing.

Rock Shox has gotten a little smarter for 2011...they are dropping the "Tora" in the 29er lineup and now have a Recon Silver (basically the 2010 Tora SL with steel stanchions and Turn Key) and the Recon Gold (alloy stanchions and non-adjustable MoCo damper like the Tora Race) 29er forks.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boomn said:
Tora damper which has no adjustable floodgate. I have not been able to find an Argyle damper anywhere, but they could be out there somewhere.

On a semi-related note, I found out that the newer Tora's share lowers with the Reba and can be converted to a 20mm Maxle! I'm jealous that these don't fit me '08... it would be a lot cheaper than a whole new fork
Nice, It's a nice feature but I don't really care about the adjustable floodgate as my 2009 Reba has been great as it came from factory. All I did was play with air pressures and the rebound damper. Mmmmm 20mm thru-axle, although I think 15QR is plenty good for most trail use I understand where 20mm is stiffer. :thumbsup: Not a bad price on those lowers too!

mtnbiker72 said:
About $50 for a MoCo compression unit for the Tora...the 26er and 29er units are the same thing.

Rock Shox has gotten a little smarter for 2011...they are dropping the "Tora" in the 29er lineup and now have a Recon Silver (basically the 2010 Tora SL with steel stanchions and Turn Key) and the Recon Gold (alloy stanchions and non-adjustable MoCo damper like the Tora Race) 29er forks.
Thanks, lookin to buy one now. :) Yes, I saw last night that SRAM has finally cleaned up the RS site a bit making it s little easier to get correct info about thier forks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts