Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Single speed project. Waiting on new rear wheel, may go with eno hub or with chain tensioner . (Depends on what I win on ebay) My bike is all old XTR. Should I stick with the crank and take off two rings (do I need spacers?) or go with new to me SS crank? I like the crank I have and I like the BB.

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
a SS specific chainring and four new chainring bolts (small) on a pair of XTR cranks you like seems like the way to go and a lot cheaper. I ran an FSA CR on XT cranks for a couple years before upgrading (eventhough I didn't have too).

You already knew the answer to your question, didn't you?

As for the chain tensioner; it's good for entry level but eventually it's going to be as troublesome as a rear der. Good luck on winning the Eno.

Caz

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need Some advice on chainring and cogs

cazloco said:
a SS specific chainring and four new chainring bolts (small) on a pair of XTR cranks you like seems like the way to go and a lot cheaper. I ran an FSA CR on XT cranks for a couple years before upgrading (eventhough I didn't have too).
ed"]
You already knew the answer to your question, didn't you? [/COLOR]

As for the chain tensioner; it's good for entry level but eventually it's going to be as troublesome as a rear der. Good luck on winning the Eno.

Caz
a SS specific chainring and four new chainring bolts (small) on a pair of XTR cranks you like seems like the way to go and a lot cheaper
Some anecdotal data seems to tell me the most common trail gear I use is 34 x 24 or 34 x 28. Would that compare to 32 x ?

You already knew the answer to your question, didn't you
I didn't really know. I'm thinking of keeping the crank as is for a later project. I'm not sure how much trouble the switch is. I like the old Race Face Turbine cranks but I don't want to just throw on some cheap part.

Good luck on winning the Eno.
I have had NO luck finding an eno hub wheel on ebay. That's what I want but A) I need a rim brake wheel and B) I don't want to spend the cash to build one if I turn out not liking this.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the look of the White uno or duo freewheel cogs.

They seem to offer some flexibility. Thing is, I think I want an 18/20 and the one they have is 16/18 or 17/19.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.