Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
I have a great custom cannondale MTB (Rigid) that I absolutely love. However, I've recently begun riding more trails, and think it is time to upgrade to front suspension. Is it possible to convert my current "pepperoni" fork with a suspension fork? If so, how do I know which suspension manufacturer will work best? I contacted Cannondale directly, and they didn't have much to say. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
hi there 1st off i would have as look on the cannondale website for the spec of your bike and look at the thec sheets, this will show you the max head angle you can go to as all the frames have a limit,most go rockshox but i have to say if i had the chance id go for old marzocchi main reason is price of forks today are too much.travel id say anything from 100-130 would be ok if the frame fine for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's one of the other issues I'm having right now... the frame appears to be a custom frame made by Cannondale... neither Cannondale or the shop have been able to determine the model... all I have on it is a seriel #, which Cannondale has not yet responded back too.

Thanks again for your pointers... the last thing I want to do is crack the frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are good... I think you are right. It's funny, because I sent the same pic to the customer service team at cannondale, and didn't even get a suggested model name. Thanks again for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
its also got a old 1inch steerer on it which means you wouldbe on quite old forks, only way u could do it is find some old one that have had a good refurb or new old stock ones.
looking at that frame id say 80 -100mm at the most.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not too technical when it comes to bikes... but now that I think I know that model, I can check back with the shop I purchased it from to see if they could help me out. thanks again.

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
hay no worrys, its a m800/900 i think came with lx spec on it and some with xt.think i need a job with cannondale with a reply to the pic that quick :)

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
1 1/8 steerer is on newish bike with what was called ahead set on where the stem goes over the steerer tube and tightens onto it and a star fangled washer inside it.
1 inch had a long bolt going inside with a peice cut at a angle that pulls tight on the inside of the steerer.
only way you could do it would be find a old pair of rockshoxs or pace with the 1 inch steerer.
or you could get a girvin flex stem some on ebay a few weeks ago for a guy in france,new old stock that would compliment the age of the bike too and not look out of place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you've really been a great help... I think I'm going to start messing around and looking for options tomorrow. or Perhaps, I keep it as is, and just ride it into the ground... if that's possible. thanks again.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mine is a CAD3 1997 frame set that I originally built up with a Manitou 4. Now I'm using an old '99 Manitou Spyder (70mm) that works fine for this old ride. Stay away from the larger suspension forks. 80mm should be the most IMHO.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.