Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a really domb question. I have pretty wimpy legs. Thurs I rode a new Rig, and loved it.

If I buy a rig and can't pedal it up the trails near my house, is it possible to convert it to a geared bike?

Thanks!
Craig

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
You could just lower the stock gearing. Most factory SSs are over-geared IMO.

Or you could buy a Cobia if you are really worried about having a singlespeed. Much easier than trying to convert a Rig.

·
Registered
19,086 Posts
I agree with Shiggy. Buy a bigger rear cog (relatively cheap) and do your best. Your fitness will improve dramatically if you keep riding. Stock gearing is pretty high for first-time SS'ers unless you're already very fit.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Ditto Shig and Nat, but also...

you could easily make it a 1x9 with a saint/hone hub and derailleur. Would obviously require money spent on the new rear wheel, but it would work.

Don't give up on the SS thing too fast though - you'll be amazed at how quickly your leg strength and fitness improve.

Post pics when you get the new machine!

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Convert

Hi Guys

Thanks for your imput! I am pretty psyched on the 29er idea, and the SS may just be may entry point.

But would I have to change may quote on my signature?
Craig

·
Registered
492 Posts
I was toying with the idea of trying the Saint solution as well - and may do yet next summer. The other possibility I was thinking of was getting someone to make up a derailluer hanger which could clamp behind the qr so as to attach a regular derailleur and have it shift across four 8spd cogs on the short freehub body.

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.