Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike that I am thinking about selling. Right now it has a 142mm wheel set on it (King) and I am thinking about swapping another wheel set which is an older 135mm king.

Is it really as simple as swapping the axle? Does the wheel need to be re-dished? Does this impact the brake rotor at all?

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
CK hubs aren’t an ‘axle’. It’s just end caps. Yes it’s that easy.
Nothing else required.
Might have to loosen and fine-tune the brake caliper a smidge

The process is pretty clearly shown in one of the dozens of YouTube videos in the internet if you search for Chris King conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Fair enough. Hope, DT, I9, Bitex, Roval and most others are just end cap swaps.

I guess it’s just CK and Hadley that do the full axle.

Your OP suggests you have two pair of King hubs, swap the axles and see if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
The conversion from 135 to 142 is easy but...

Call CK directly and speak with them - IIRC there may be slight differences in hubs through the years that may require a slightly different axle. They'd want the serial number off your hub, then you'd be assured you are getting the perfect axle.

Chances are you should just be able to simple swap the axles though.

I've converted two CK 135s to 142s.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. Good idea on calling them with the serial #'s. I know that the two wheelsets have different hub diameters because the old set had a 20mm axle that I had changed to 15mm.

When I tried to build up the second bike I got a new(er) set of kings and tried to pop the 20mm axle into it, only to find out that it would not fit.

·
Combat Wombat
1,862 Posts
The conversion from 135 to 142 is easy but...

Call CK directly and speak with them - IIRC there may be slight differences in hubs through the years that may require a slightly different axle. They'd want the serial number off your hub, then you'd be assured you are getting the perfect axle.

Chances are you should just be able to simple swap the axles though.

I've converted two CK 135s to 142s.
I have done this as well. With the parts in hand, a quick and easy process. Second the recommendation to call and verify exactly what you require.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.