Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR Expert with 100 mm travel. Good bike but I ride it very little these days. I would like to convert it to 130 mm travel to make it more of a trail / all mountain bike. Fork is not difficult. Will just replace existing with a Rock Shox 130 mm Travel Revelation. It's the rear four-link that has me concerned.

The shock is the Fox Triad. I could just get a new longer travel shock to get close. But should I address the geometry? If yes, how? Replace the Hollw Link?

I don't ride this bike much anymore since I've biult a SS and a geared hardtail over the last year & a half. These bikes fit the local trails better. My Stumpy is collecting dust most of the time but I would like to have a full suspension bike with 5-5.5 in. travel to tackle some more challenging trails in PA and Souhtern IN. That and I just want to tinker with this bike!:D

Please post with your suggestions.

- Matt

·
Registered
538 Posts
matt,

i'm not sure what the exact differences were. i do recall that the frames were pretty much identical. the link and shock were the issues there.

what trails in PA were you looking at needing the increased travel for? i've managed pretty well with 4" bikes.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey Plugger, I've asked both Specialized and Fox about doing the same thing in the past. I had an 05 FSRxc with 100mm travel both ends. I wanted to give it another 20mm on both. Specialized advised strongly against it. Fox advised to not go longer on the rear. And in Mt. Bike Action magazine, where they have frequently changed out for a longer fork on the test Epics of the same travel, Richard Cunningham also advises against putting a longer shock. The longer travel fork will have it's advantages, as long as you don't go more than an inch from its original design, but the rear shock, RC states that it will screw up the handling for sure. As for me, I sold the FSRxc and now have an 05 Stumpy s-works with 120mm on both ends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bighitdon said:
matt,

i'm not sure what the exact differences were. i do recall that the frames were pretty much identical. the link and shock were the issues there.

what trails in PA were you looking at needing the increased travel for? i've managed pretty well with 4" bikes.
I'm actually more interested in the tinker factor than anything. I've rode a hardtail w/ 100 mm fork on some pretty knarly stuff with no problem. The travel change is just a way to occupy some time and maybe get a longer travel bike in the process.

·
UF Engineering Slave
370 Posts
Have you looked into the BETD link? I think they make one for that bike, and it will let you adjust from 100 to 140mm of travel using the stock shock. I've been thinking of getting one of them paired with my TALAS fork, to give me tons of adjustability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.