Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently picked up a 95 Klein fervor to get me back on a bike of the vintage that started it all for me....the one downside is that it has a 1" threaded headset. I am looking to do two things in order of importance:

1. Put a new stem and riser bar on it.
2. Use an old fork (1 1/8" threadless) on it.

I understand that their are adapters, such as the one made by profile, that can allow me to accomplish #1. Has anyone had any experience with this? Are there other ways around it? The adapter I would like would convert to 1 1/8" threadless stem attachment.

2. Is there any hope of putting a fork of the new standard on this bike?

Thanks for any help you can offer me. I imagine there are a number of people on this site that have gone through similar problems.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
DBoy said:
1. Put a new stem and riser bar on it.

I understand that their are adapters, such as the one made by profile, that can allow me to accomplish #1. Has anyone had any experience with this? Are there other ways around it? The adapter I would like would convert to 1 1/8" threadless stem attachment.
Profile does make adapters for this purpose, as does Cinelli, and probably a few other companies. I've never used one on a MTB, but have used them on road bikes. They work fine. Their only downsides are weight and esthetics.

There are not a lot of 1" options these days. If you find that fork does not cut it, Marzocchi makes forks that will work.

·
vermontbryan
38 Posts
I just put a Marzocchi MX Comp 85 with 1 inch steerer on my 1993 Klein Rascal. Marzocchi sells that fork stock with a 1 or 1 1/8 inch steerer. Their website indicates that they will sell you any of their forks with 1 inch steerer, so you may want to contact them. The only other manufacturer offering 1 inch steerers is RST. Note that you will want to reduce the travel down to something in the 50 to 65mm range to maintain the original steering geometry and excellent handling of your Klein. With the MX Comp this is very easy to do, and if you ever need to do that let me know and I'll give you instructions.

Someone also mentioned a company called Hippietech who repair and modify forks. You may want to check out their website.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I share my experience with one but not the other. Using my threaded fork, I was able to use a standard 1-1/8" stem. I got one of these from Nashbar - they are made to fit either 1" or 1-1/8" threaded steerer tubes/headsets

The rest worked itself out nicely. I could even use spacers on the stem adapter. Here's a shot of my setup. If you can live with your threaded 1" fork, this might be an option for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
The rest worked itself out nicely. I could even use spacers on the stem adapter. Here's a shot of my setup. If you can live with your threaded 1" fork, this might be an option for you.
The spacer is a nice touch. It looks a lot better than the exposed adapter. I'll use that trick in the future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much -

I have ordered an adapter and will see how it holds up. I appreciate the response.[

QUOTE=SpinWheelz]I share my experience with one but not the other. Using my threaded fork, I was able to use a standard 1-1/8" stem. I got one of these from Nashbar - they are made to fit either 1" or 1-1/8" threaded steerer tubes/headsets

The rest worked itself out nicely. I could even use spacers on the stem adapter. Here's a shot of my setup. If you can live with your threaded 1" fork, this might be an option for you.[/QUOTE]

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
One note: if you do use some spacers, make sure you use those which have very flat, squared off tops and bottoms. Not the naff ones with slightly rounded edges. Those have a tendency to slip and loosen after a while. That's why I went with the carbon spacers. They are perfectly flush/flat on both sides. No movement whatsoever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.