Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert my Timberjack NX to SS. It has the alternator dropouts, primed for conversion.

The NX Eagle crankset is 12-speed, so I am trying to gauge the right chain size and rear cog to get.

I am unclear on the compatibility on chain sizing, if I push forward with a cog & chain, should I go 1/8 or 3/32? Any other considerations I should be looking at?

thx in advance...
~grc

·
Registered
906 Posts
Your rear freehub is probably XD, so you will need either a conversion kit for XD, like the problem solvers Zinger (LINK) or an HG freehub for your rear wheel and a more standard conversion kit. I prefer steel cogs to Al, width isn't critical. With the Zinger kit you have more limited options for cogs, but it may be a bit cheaper than an HG freehub + HG spacer kit and cog.

In my experience you can always run a wider chain on a skinnier chain ring, but not the reverse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My hope was to run the Surly SS conversion kit and an 18t cog. I plan to get a new chain, in the event I want to switch it back to a 12-speed.

My question is if I need to a 1/8 or 3/32 hub. And the same for the chain size.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My hope was to run the Surly SS conversion kit and an 18t cog. I plan to get a new chain, in the event I want to switch it back to a 12-speed.

Depends on what cog you get. Most are 3/32", but there are some that only work with a 1/8" chain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
906 Posts
NX uses a standard Shimano freehub.
Nevermind then! A standard conversion kit will work well, so you are much better off :)

I used to run 1/8 in chains but now I run 9 speed (3/32) chains. I've noticed no difference in wear but the 9 speed chains are lighter and supposedly stronger than most 1/8th chains.

I would get a Surly cog and a 9 speed chain.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome - thx Frs...

Deeper look is the bike has a Sun Ringle SRC 12x148 rear hub. From what I can tell its listed as Shimano compatible.

The chainring is 32t; my approach was gonna be 32x18 running just shy of a 1.8 ratio. The Surly 18t 3/32 is plentiful for me to order.

Thanks again for the quick responses... very helpful...

~grc

·
Registered
104 Posts

Surly recommends 3/32 for their cogs.
I run a KMC 11 speed chain with Surly cogs and a non-Eagle NX crankset.

My other ss uses a Surly cog with a 9 speed KMC (3/32) and flat ring Vuelta chainring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.