Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving to SS mountain for 07 for sure.
currently have a ss/fixed Van Dessel Country road bob for commuting/cross/fun.
Rode my friends Inbred 26 the other day and loved it. even though the gearing was a biiit low at 32x21 it worked amazing on the short grunty uphills... at 32x19 or 17 it would have been perfect.

i'm in eastern canada. think roots/short sharp rocks/very tight singletrack and short steep climbing with short steep descents on the other end. i'm 39/5' 10" tall and 165lbs and moving to master B (40-49yr old division next year and want to be at least competitive on a SS. I'd probably win most if i was on a geared bike fwiw). I'm a competitive age group racer in pretty much every discipline of cycling.

So here's my thinking:

my lbs is trek/fisher/giant/norco dealer. i can get a 69er at a very good price, but i'd have to order it in sight unseen. Personally i groove on its looks, fork and all.
my concerns with it would be the fact that it might be punishing stiff in the rear end (have to throw a ti or carbon post on to settle it down a bit i'm sure), the unability for it to be anything other than a 69 SS ever.
the pros are that it'll come in at a very acceptable prodeal price to me, and its part spec is very very nice i think. its friggin unique and thats worth a tiny bit i guess. and i'd be supporting a product that he sells.

Inbred:
i had the cleanest ride in years on a bike i'd never ridden before (though it was a 26). i was giggling like a kid on a sweet flowy section i'd stumbled on with a geared dual suspension previously. So. with the inbred in comparison to otheres...
is it flexy/whippy to the point of powerloss?
how are the angles of the inbred compared to other bikes (steeper?).. i know it worked great for our terrain at least.
I noticed a bit of rust from under the gussets of my friends bike...is that an issue?
what would it cost (assuming near cost pricing) to spec out an inbred/w a good suspension fork/disc brake/etc setup to make it comparable to the Trek?

Other canadian or east coast tuned rides?

i won't be able to test ride any bikes so that's not really an option.

looking to not go over 1500.00 unless its a steal.

thanks for all replies.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I rode the 29" Inbred, and it's a lovely ride. I rode like I always imagined sweet custom steel with lots of tube manupulation would ride.
The one ride I did was a relay race, we shared the bike, and it was fast. I now like the option to run LONG chainstays. That adds a compliance even your feet notice when standing on the pedals.
With a set of dropouts for each wheelsize : 26 and 29, the 96er would be such a nicer bike IMO. Where before 29" had to prove itself, I now think the 26" rear wheel has to prove itself. With less traction, less comfort, higher rolling resistance, and just 150g weight savings, it will hard to break even. Tire selection argument goes out of the window, being mated to a 29" AM front end.
I suggest to try and get a demo ride on an On-One.

Mind you, a Ti seatpost is nice on any bike. I rode the Inbred with a Ti Moots post, and although it's not the end-all solution, it should must have helped make the bike as comfortable as it was.

Good luck,

J

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Check out Misfit Psycles. Great value in an aluminum platform. See their site in my signature.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I've had many bikes in my 27 yours or mountain biking and 34 years of serious cycling. My Inbred 29er is by far the most fun I can remember. It has all the big wheel benefits and is still quick handling for tight singletrak and rocky switchbacks. It is the only bike I ride out of my 3 current MTB bikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
costs.

just priced the trek out compared to the inbred. because of my shop being a dealer the trek compared to a comparable inbred would be 1/2 the price. that's not nothing. infact thats a lot.
would that inspire anyone to reconsider?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
While the 1/2 price is hard to ignore, I am also one of the people amazed by the Inbred frame. Personally I find the rigid fork a little too rigid for me (I am 165 lbs), but the back end is super compliant, to the point that I would not worry about 26 or 29 wheel in the back.

My main concern with the Trek 69 is the tall front end. But you are 5'10" (I am only 5'6") so I would expect it to be fine for your size. As much as I like my Inbred, the Trek cannot be all that bad when it has Travis Brown's input into it. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trial option

So potentially i could get the 69er, try it for a day week month and if i find it pales in comparison to my inbred 26 ride...well i could buy the inbred 29 frame and swap every part over from the 69er save the rear rim. get that rebuilt onto a 29 rim and bobs your uncle.
would the maverick fork swap over? ya i know it'd be bizarre beyond bizarre looking though but i'm sure the mav is a nice fork!.

just talkin.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
I think you'd be happy with the 69er (man what red blooded male wouldn't be?! :))

The more I look at the 69er the more it makes sense, a nice big wheel for rolling over things and a nice normal sized wheel on the back for going fast everywhere!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
custom drops?

to fit a 29er on the back of the 69er what would it take? custom dropouts machined by some talented cnc'er?
is that all?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You may want to ask Brant at On One if the Maverick fork can be put on the 29er Inbred frame. Probably yes, since the Inbreds are suspension corrected (although I don't know what travel).

There is something you should be aware about the Inbred frame. The back end is so compliant that I have dropped my chain a few times when pedaling very hard & fast in rough terrain. This happened during a race (Canada Cup) and during a couple of normal rides. One would think that the chain was too loose, but I assure you, I keep my chain with about 1/2 inch play. I learned to anticipate and avoid this situation. It is a minor issue and a fair trade for all that wonderful compliance.

Just yesterday I was at Hardwood Hills and did 6 laps of the Duke Epic 8 Hour course (close to 60 km distance). It took me well over 4 hours to finish, so there is nothing amazing about this except that I managed to do it on my rigid SS Inbred. I have to believe that the compliance of the frame helped me stay in the saddle for so long.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
compliance concern

thanks Serious,

i was amazed at how comfy the Inbred was under me. i'm in NB and we're rough rock/root country. i am concerned a bit about the 69er, hopefully it'll be able to handle a 2.2 or better tire to take some sting out of an aluminum frame. throw in a ti or carbon post and a wtb saddle and that'll be as good as it can be...then if its not enough i'll have to rethink the whole shebang.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I think the 69er is made to be ridden standing up. That's when shortish chainstays make sense, and when 26" wheels can try to over come their inherently lower traction.
Perhaps is the best possible application for a 26" rear wheel in a somewhat XC bike ;-)

·
Registered
599 Posts
If the 69er was half the price of the inbred what did your dealer quote you on the inbred????
Does that mean you can get a complete 69er for under $600 canadian???

I think I smell another case of the LBS overinflating prices to push a product you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts