Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 1st set of the new X-Kings yetserday. These are the new Racesport versions which are supposedly Supersonic (and black chilli) but with just s atouch more rubber on the sidewalls and a tighter bead to help setup tubeless.

Got to say that they mounted up an absolute treat on my STANS Podium rims. They were easier than Supersonics by a long was. The slightly tighter bead makes it easier to get the initial bit of air into and they have held air overinghy with 2 cups of stans and just a quick shake.

I think these, along with the new mountain kings are going to be awesome treads...

Still love the Race Kings for the dry mind

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I was already excited about these tires before the introduction of the Racesport version, now I'm absolutely giddy. Just hope it's not one of those things where my expectations are too high to ever be met.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,

The 2.2" is narrower than the 2.2" Race King. I think you would go for the 2.4" X-King to have the same volume.

That said, volume of the 2.2" X-King is not bad at all and I'd be happy using one on the front with a Race King out back if it was a little wet for instance. I think the 2.2" X-King is around the same at the tread edges as the Race King is on the sidewalls.

I will measure them later and post......

Oh, I got them from Starbike in germany but they are showing out of stock again already. It was only the 2.2" Racesport that came in so I guess Conti are getting this one out first as they expect it to be the most popular and is probably used as OE on some 2011 bikes.

I say to be prefect I would use Race King 2.2" F&R in the dry, then go X-King 2.4" up front if you needed extra bite. Then if it got a little more wet I would use 2.2" X-King front and rear.

Regardless of conditions, I'll give them a run this weekend and report..

·
Registered
488 Posts
Even before they're available at all, I'm already being torn between the racesport and the protection versions... unsure what to get when they come in stock. If it was a choice between, say, protection and supersonic, I'd definitely get the protection, but the racesport looks very attractive as well and I'm not sure whether i'll really need that extra layer of protection and if it's worth sacrificing 140g of weight for two wheels, because I'm gonna use them with sealant inside.
Anyway, it's better to have to choose from two perfectly good options (both are BC!) than to have no choice :).

·
Registered
68 Posts
The RaRa 2.25 is bigger than the XK 2.2, which looks a little bit too small. I would suggest to run it, if your body weight is low, with very low pressure, perhaps just 20 psi to feel a little bit of comfort. It´s fast. As Steve has mentioned above the XK is performing better in wet conditions like the RaRa.
To be honest I like the more volumed tires more.
The main prob is that the tire weight is in most cases I heard not the magic 460gr. Perhaps the production nneds more time to be accurate.

·
Registered
833 Posts
shapirus said:
Even before they're available at all, I'm already being torn between the racesport and the protection versions... unsure what to get when they come in stock. If it was a choice between, say, protection and supersonic, I'd definitely get the protection, but the racesport looks very attractive as well and I'm not sure whether i'll really need that extra layer of protection and if it's worth sacrificing 140g of weight for two wheels, because I'm gonna use them with sealant inside.
Anyway, it's better to have to choose from two perfectly good options (both are BC!) than to have no choice :).
This is what I will do:

Step1 order the Racesport
Step 2 cut the sidewall in the middle of an important race
Step 3 order the Pro Tection

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Holding out for the Protection 2.4 in the rear of the HT for all year useage looks promising, the Protections extra layer of rubber is supposed to slow down the rebound so a better damped rear end sounds great on the HT.

Hoping the XK2.4 will have more volume than the RK2.2, not much and expect the XK2.2 to be down a fraction if so that'll fit better in the FS in the rear :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
So, there's more to it than just reinforced sidewalls. The Racesport version comes with a UST-compatible bead whereas Protection comes with regular bead.

pictures from https://www.bikerumor.com/2010/10/0...e-and-commuter-tires-casings-from-continental

So, probably, considering this, I'll be ordering Racesport versions for my ZTR Flow rims (tubeless with Stan's) and see how they'll be doing.

p.s. I have never cut (or nearly cut) the sidewall of my old RK Protection on the trail, but, despite being protected, it has gotten a cut from some broken glass fragment while I was riding home one day. So maybe I don't need this protection layer anyway... but we'll see :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I've got a queation and I could'n find the answer on the internet.
Can you fit the Racesport version (Tubeless Ready) tubeless on normal rims (American classic 350 26 from 2008)??

or do i just have to put some sealant in it?

thank you very much
Patrick

·
Registered
488 Posts
CAFAN said:
I've got a queation and I could'n find the answer on the internet.
Can you fit the Racesport version (Tubeless Ready) tubeless on normal rims (American classic 350 26 from 2008)??
With an inner tube, yes, they will work, if the description on the picture above is true.
Without a tube (tubeless ghetto or kit conversion), nobody will tell you until someone tries this exact combination. Most likely they will work, but it's also possible that they will not.
On a UST rim, they should work well, but probably will still need some sealant (such a light weight doesn't cannot come for free).

CAFAN said:
or do i just have to put some sealant in it?
There's more to non-UST tubeless conversion than just using sealant.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you will still have touse sealant. The racesport is not UST airtight, it just has a UST style bead to make it easier to mount. Mine still had a few tiny leaks that the sealant had to plug but they are WAY better than the old supersonics.

Used them last weekend in a race that started damp, and ended like a swamp. They were awesome all the way.

1 - 20 of 539 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.