Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The Racesport versions do have a bigger skirt on the bead (a bit like WTB's tubeless compatible construction but not as snug to install on a rim), they mount up fairly easily on a UST rim like the XTR. I'm using the Eclipse tubes so I haven't tried them tubeless yet.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to be putting the heaviest pair onto my Shimano XT 775 training/all-round wheelset with Stan's sealant, hope it goes OK for me too. The lighter pair will be stashed for racing season, although I may pick up the RaceKing 2.2 RaceSport for racing in the end (supposed to be ~60 grams lighter per tire).

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
mounted 4 of the Protection version X-King. 2.4 recently - 1 set was on DT rims with the Eclipse tubeless system, the other DT rims with 21mm yellow tape

i used innertubes & inflated the tires to approx 50psi for a few days before breaking the bead on one side & replacing the tubes with approx 80 -100ml of Slime Pro - et voilla!

all 4 tires hold air without loss once they had been for a spin around the block, but seeped air without being ridden

best XC tires on the market - imho ;)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have the racesports in 2.4 and they mounted really easily. They didn't seal up great with Caffe Latex, so after a day or so of goofing with that I cleaned it out, remounted and put in Stan's. Been fine since. This was my first foray at tubeless and I'd say it was pretty painless.

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
facelessfools said:
this is true but mine has a bunch of pin holes in the sidewall between the tread compound and sidewall where the two compounds meet. had around 4 rides and gets low on everyone. hopefully ill get it set soon..
argh - not good

this might help:
wipe the sidewalls with a clean cloth & stick small squares of electrical tape (for example) over the holes then rest the wheel so the sealant pools over the holes, flip and shake the wheel a few times + add air if/when ness

...what sealant are you using?

good luck :)

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
the tire grips well! both do, the race king gives similar grip to the racing ralph for less money and weight!
went with the xking for extra confidence in the loose for the fontana winter series ;)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
turbogrover said:
Can I buy the X-King 2.4 tires from a US distributor or shop somewhere?
The US distributor Highway 2 said they had about a hundred of them when I ordered mine about a week ago.

I'm having trouble getting mine to seal up. I installed them and gave them 60ml of Stan's each, aired them up, swirled them, and rode them a little in our basement (it's pretty large). The next day, they were empty.

Ok, maybe they need more sealant, more riding, more swirling or some sort of ritual sacrifice. So I added more sealant, swirled, rode a little, parked it, and they were soft by lunchtime. Maybe turkey sandwiches will count toward the ritual sacrifice requirement...

So at lunch, I painted a 1:4 mixture of dish detergent & water on the sidewalls. Whoa, the air is just coming right through the sidewalls EVERYWHERE. Grrr...

Suggestions? Does this type of thing cure itself with time? I thought the miraculous Stan's micro-sealing particles would've done their thing by now.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
mechBgon said:
What are the pros and cons of Slime Pro versus Stan's? Is one slower to evaporate than the other?
2 of my last 8 rides have been interrupted by small punctures that Stans couldn't seal - an almost impossible to measure puncture between the tread knobs of a rear Rocket Rons & a cocktail stick in the sidewall of a Racing Ralph this sunday (argh happy new year!) - there was plenty of fresh Stans in both wheelsets that should have worked as advertised

for Stans to perform like it does in their website videos i think you have to use a bottle in each tire, in the real world 100ml of Stans boogers-up into useless blobs in about 6-8 weeks here - abit pathetic really

been trying out Slime Pro since September, was famililar with the old (cheaper) formula which did a great job sealing 40-50 goatheads that were sticking into both tires more than 20 miles from home back in '05 & seemed to keep fresh in the tires for longer than it took for the tires to wear out. "new" Slim Pro was on sale at my local Performance $25.66 for 32 fl oz inc tax (about the same as Stans) so gave it a chance

Pro sealed up beads on our Conti X-Kings massively easier than Stans (which had actually failed to do so & i ended up wasting 1/2 a bottle) 1/3 less Pro sealant was needed in each tire compared with amount of Stans needed for 2.25 Rocket Rons - so less rotational weight + Pro apparently dries out much more slowly than Stans but not had a chance to confirm that yet - but so far no rides have been interrupted by punctures :thumbsup:

now thinking the best tubeless formula is one that you brew yourself at a fraction of the price of off-the-shelf sealant - so no expense to refresh every few months ;)

best

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.