Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Upgrade Addict
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run these non-UST tires in a tubeless setup? I have Mavic 819 tubeless rims and I was looking at this as a possible front tire but I would want to run it tubeless with some Stan's sealant. These are going for real cheap right now but I don't want to throw money away if it wont work. Any help is appreciated.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
I have a set front and rear on the xm819, with slime, they slowly deinflate in about 24 hrs maybe loose 15 psi, but I think it's the slime. I'll be putting another tire in the rear, and seal both with Fix a Flat tubeless sealant (orange) which have worked ok with another wheelset (mavic x223) I have with maxxis rim strips and wtb mutano front, IRC trailbear rear. One thing I've noted is that the sidewall of the contis is more thinner than the other tires I have, and last week I hit a squared edge on a sidewalk a little hard and the tire got two holes and a bent rim edge. If it had a tube I'm sure it wouldn't have happened, it just gave up too easy and pressure was around 35 psi, another thing that may prove this is that when I first installed the tire, I inflated them with no Slime, just to test the sealing on the rim and almost instantly you could see little rubber bubbles on the sidewall, but with the Slime applied it didn't happen. Inflating them with no air compressor is a pain in the A$$. So always carry a tube. They are quite thin for a 2.3, looks more like an 2.2.

Good Luck!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
johnmre said:
Has anyone run these non-UST tires in a tubeless setup? I have Mavic 819 tubeless rims and I was looking at this as a possible front tire but I would want to run it tubeless with some Stan's sealant. These are going for real cheap right now but I don't want to throw money away if it wont work. Any help is appreciated.
Just get some Nevegals and be done with it. Stop shopping Carleton's bargain bin! :p

·
Upgrade Addict
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh oh...

SSINGA said:
Just get some Nevegals and be done with it. Stop shopping Carleton's bargain bin! :p
You caught me... Who has them in stock? You are right, I should do this. What do you think about a 2.3 up front and a 2.1 in back on my Burner? Or, should I just stick with 2.1 front and rear?

·
Registered
69 Posts
johnmre said:
You caught me... Who has them in stock? You are right, I should do this. What do you think about a 2.3 up front and a 2.1 in back on my Burner? Or, should I just stick with 2.1 front and rear?
The Conti 2.3 is smaller than most manufacturers' 2.1 models. There was a tire shootout in one of the mags a couple of years ago that measured them all. Kind of disappointing as it would probably be the ultimate tire if it truly were 2.3"! Still an awesome tire for all conditions riding though.

Sorry, no experience with the tubeless...

·
Registered
245 Posts
fog said:
I have a set with Stans. They work ok; but they do leak more than other tires are supose to leak. This is the only tubless I have tried.
I do like the tire.
Wayne
I helped a friend attempt a Stan's convert of the non-UST Vert Pros and he wasn't patient enough to see if they would ever seal up totally. After loosing air in 24 hours (without ever even riding), he was ready to give up and bought Conti Vert USTs which is the better way to go anyway. I did notice that the Conti tires have a coating on the inside of the tire that seemed to causing a beading effect with the Stan's sealant. If it's beading up, then the sealant can't possibly bond well with the tire to seal holes. Before giving up, and for that matter any tire you are going to put sealant in, you should "prep" the inside of the tire with a Scotchbrite pad and some soap to remove that oily residue from the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did run the non-ust verticals on ust rims at one point in time, but I threw tubes in them, never tried running this setup tubless. I never had any leakage problems when running ust versions on my ust rims though as others have reported. It would take a week or more for a significant drop in psi. I run tubed in the front and tubless verticals in the rear (had to buy new wheelset, wanted ust, but I got a good deal on light non-ust front wheelset so I took the opportunity with the trade off of losing ust rims). Anyway love both versions, no major issues with them. I have the "2.3's."

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
johnmre said:
The 2.35 is a pretty big tire for the Burner and somewhere around 700g. The 2.1 in the DTC compound would be ideal. I really doubt that anyone in town has them in stock. I'd try some of the e-tailers that visit the boards if they have to be ordered.

TD - you know I just like givin' you a hard time.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I run Stan's in my Vert Pro non-UST's and love the tires. I have them on a 223 in front and love the grip. Great tire for great prices.
Lou.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.