Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, when looking into the new Trail Kings, I didn't find anything on actual size. I did find general statements that the new Continental 2.6s are true to size or big, but nothing specific to this tire. I've also had a heck of a time buying the tire. Initially I was considering it on my 27.5+ that I was putting together in December, but couldn't find it anywhere for sale (US).

My preferred tire setup in the past has been Trail King rear, Surly Dirt Wizard front. So recently I've seen more availability on this tire in the 27.5 (although still yet to see it available in 29). I was swapping out a hub on my rear wheel, so I bought the tire too.

In comparison (both on 41.5 IW rim) to the Maxxis Rekon 2.8 that I was running:

Rekon 2.8 (appr. 200 miles ridden) 2.65" wide x 2.125" tall.

Trail King 2.6 (0 miles) 2.50" wide x 2.25" tall.

They both have about the same sidewall/tread profile on the 41.5 rim.

Then by comparison to my Dirt Wizard 3.0 front on the same rim - 2.9" wide x 2.375" tall.

Time will tell how much it stretches to see if it goes true to size. As far as the width goes, I'm fine with it as is or stretching a bit bigger. Height wise, I'm happy to see it's taller than the Rekon and closer to the Dirt Wizard.

Regarding tubeless setup, I'm using a SunRingle Duroc 45 and it's super easy to setup tubeless on all three tires. The Trail King is tighter mounting to this rim than any other Contis I've mounted to other rims (not a fair comparison). I had to use my Park tire lever to get both sides on. A little water sprayed around the bead got the thing seated with a $15 Walmart floor pump.

Hope this helps others looking for measurements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rec. 29C-35C. I'm assuming that means the rim width.

By knob height you mean distance from the outside of casing to the end of the knob? Outside knobs are about 5.5mm max, center knobs are about 4.5mm.

The height measurements I gave earlier are to the edges of the knobs. Interestingly enough, the casing on this thing, height and width is almost exactly the same as the Dirt Wizard 3.0, just the DW has longer knobs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.