Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I hear Continental tires discussed their black chili compound is brought up. My trail bike came shipped with some Trail King 2.4 (F) Mountain King 2.2(rear) but nowhere on the tire does it read "Black Chili" All I have is "Pure Grip" and, of course, E-bike compatible.

I am assuming this Pure Grip is base level, budget performance tire? Is there a consensus on the Pure Grip spec? Most especially curious about wet rocks/roots (new england conditions).

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Pure Grip is the mid level compound, it ain't Black Chili but it won't kill you either like the base compound on their wire bead tires. I probably wouldn't run it on the front in the wet, but I've been using a PG Cross King on the back wheel of my bike and it's not too bad.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Pure grip is actually a very good performing compound. It’s probably better than most other manufacturers high end compounds. However the tires made with Pure Grip tend to be really heavy for their size, so that is the main downside.

Reactions: acer66
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.