Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these three roughly comparable in terms of tire protection? Are either the Schwalbe or Continental tougher then Maxxis? I am currently running Maxxis Exo but I kind of want to try out some other manufacturers tires.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I've had experience with all 3 versions...

Protection from Continental in my experience offers the greatest 'protection'.

Next would be Snake Skin...

And bringing up the rear is EXO.

Tires I've used in each include...

Conti:

-Trail King 2.4 (good in rocky/loamy conditions)

-Mountain King 2.4 (good all-rounder trail tire)

-Mountian King 2.2 (quite narrow, but grippy)

Schwalbe:

-Magic Mary 2.35 (best Enduro front tire I've owned)

-Hans Dampf 2.35 (best trail front tire I've owned)

-Nobby Nic 2.35 & 2.25 (meh)

-Rock Razor 2.35 (nice for Summer)

Maxxis:

HR2, DHR2, DHF, Forekaster, Ardent Race, Ardent, Aggressor - 2.2 to 2.5.

My pick of Maxxis offerings would be 2.5 Aggressor (AM HT rear). DHR2 2.4 rear (FS 160mm travel rigs). Ardent Race 2.35 front & 2.2 rear for Endurance type events.

In short Schwalbe for the front, Maxxis for the rear...

Conti if you ride in rocky/loamy terrain...

Sent from my Nokia X6

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool. I just picked up a Minion DHF to try since I ripped my rear Ardent. Going to throw the Minion on the front and Ardent on the rear but I also wanted to try out a few other tires soon (Trail King, Hans Dampf, Nobby Nic, Aggressor).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's all marketing. At the end of the day it just comes down to what tire fits your needs.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Well that is why I am asking so I can figure out what tire does fit my needs...

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,207 Posts
We have lots of sharp rocks around here...the type the native americans made into arrow heads so I wondered this exact thing a while back. After a slew of bad luck (3 sliced rear sidewalls in a month) I came to the conclusion that I really need to pick better lines. That was a year ago and I had "only" one more (on the front no less) with no change in tire choice.

Right now I have a WTB Riddler light/fast on the back for summer and it's been fine, but again I think that's more due to paying attention than anything. Sorry, I know that's not really a direct answer to your question but it's good to look at everything. :)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I see that you’ve already bought a tire but here’s a little more info.

Maxxis has Exo version in 120 TPI and 60 TPI, as well as dual ply 120 TPI option they call DD. The std Exo 60tpi versions have noticeably thicker, sturdier sidewalls than 120tpi. I’ve not had a 120tpi DD version so can’t comment on that.

Conti has Protection and Protection Apex versions with the Apex being their flavor of extra sidewall material to stiffen them up and give more abrasion resistance and sidewall support.

Between the two, Maxxis Exo 60 TPI feels a little stiffer/heftier than Conti Apex when comparing both tires side-by-side, new out of the package. Don’t know that I’ve seen a noticeable difference between the two when on the bike.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see that you've already bought a tire but here's a little more info.

Maxxis has Exo version in 120 TPI and 60 TPI, as well as dual ply 120 TPI option they call DD. The std Exo 60tpi versions have noticeably thicker, sturdier sidewalls than 120tpi. I've not had a 120tpi DD version so can't comment on that.

Conti has Protection and Protection Apex versions with the Apex being their flavor of extra sidewall material to stiffen them up and give more abrasion resistance and sidewall support.

Between the two, Maxxis Exo 60 TPI feels a little stiffer/heftier than Conti Apex when comparing both tires side-by-side, new out of the package. Don't know that I've seen a noticeable difference between the two when on the bike.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I had to buy a new tire since I destroyed one but I was planning on ordering a couple others to try. I didn't realize that there were two version of Exo. I knew they just added Exo Plus.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have lots of sharp rocks around here...the type the native americans made into arrow heads so I wondered this exact thing a while back. After a slew of bad luck (3 sliced rear sidewalls in a month) I came to the conclusion that I really need to pick better lines. That was a year ago and I had "only" one more (on the front no less) with no change in tire choice.

Right now I have a WTB Riddler light/fast on the back for summer and it's been fine, but again I think that's more due to paying attention than anything. Sorry, I know that's not really a direct answer to your question but it's good to look at everything. :)
It is fair enough but at the same time I like to try different lines at the local trails to keep things interesting and I figure I don't mind taking a small weight plenty to avoid punctures.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Thanks. I had to buy a new tire since I destroyed one but I was planning on ordering a couple others to try. I didn't realize that there were two version of Exo. I knew they just added Exo Plus.
The 60 tpi version of Exo uses extra rubber to compensate for the lower thread count. The 120 TPI sidewalls are more supple and deliver an overall lighter tire. On my 120 TPI Areent, I can see a few areas where the threads are exposed from abrasions. This isn't the case on my 60 TPI versions. Whether one is actually more cut resistant vs the other... I cannot say for sure but the 60 TPI version just feels beefier. Also, heavier/harder riders would enjoy the extra sidewall support.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had bad luck with the Conti Protection Mountain King. They were showing sidewall threads under 100 miles and were the absolutely the worst tire, traction-wise, that I've ever used for my type of New England riding.

I switched to an DHF/DHRII EXO combo and ran them though roots, rock and reggae without issue for about 300 miles. With my last changeover, I switched to the Maxxis Double Down (Maxx Terra) versions of the same tires and they are even more hardy than the EXO.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I had bad luck with the Conti Protection Mountain King. They were showing sidewall threads under 100 miles and were the absolutely the worst tire, traction-wise, that I've ever used for my type of New England riding.

I switched to an DHF/DHRII EXO combo and ran them though roots, rock and reggae without issue for about 300 miles. With my last changeover, I switched to the Maxxis Double Down (Maxx Terra) versions of the same tires and they are even more hardy than the EXO.
Ditto on the Mountain Kings... never liked that tire from minute 1 of riding it. I also agree that the non-Apex version of Conti Protection sidewall is pretty weak. I have an X King that is still weeping sealant after a month+ with 6 oz of Orange seal - yes, 6 oz. My Trail King Apex versions have never had this problem.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ditto on the Mountain Kings... never liked that tire from minute 1 of riding it. I also agree that the non-Apex version of Conti Protection sidewall is pretty weak. I have an X King that is still weeping sealant after a month+ with 6 oz of Orange seal - yes, 6 oz. My Trail King Apex versions have never had this problem.
I couldn't even get them set up tubeless. The beads just would not hold the sealant and with a tube set-up I was getting pinch flats even at bulletproof PSIs.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You should also note that just because a tire features "SnakeSkin" doesn't mean it is identical to another "SnakeSkin" sidewall. If you ever compare a 2.35" Magic Mary SnakeSkin to a 2.35" Nobby Nic SnakeSkin you will clearly see that the sidewalls are very different. So it's not all that easy to evaluate different companies' sidewall protections just by name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.