Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continental MT King 2.4
Newbie question here. I have a Trek Marlin 29. Was wondering if I could mount these 2.4 tires on the stock Bontrager rims it came with? What's the ideal rim width for 2.4 tire. TIA!

G

·
what were the previous tires? yes you can mount them however clearance may be an issue as they are BIG 2.4's. As for the ideal width thats debatable like many topics but both 23 & 25mm rims will do fine, heck maybe even 19mm.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've put Conti Trail Kings 2.2 and 2.4 on 19mm rims. I'm 140lbs and i regularly rode them at 20psi no probs, occasionally i'd get a minute burp... not ideal, but doable.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
I wouldn't worry about them on the rims. Tubed they will do fine on narrower rims. I'm not so sure you would have enough clearance with a 2.4 on the rear. I run a 2.4 on my Tallboy which has a lot of rear clearance and it barely fits. Normally I run something narrower in the rear but I used a wider tire int he rear for some sloppy winter conditions. I'd go with the 2.2 for your rear and the 2.4 on the front.

I like the MKIIs just make sure you get the ones that are made with the Black Chili rubber. I have about 300 miles on mine as a rear and it is wearing well. Just now starting to show some wear on the softer outer knobs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts