Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Conti Vertical Pro UST tires being shipped to me, and this will be my first go at a tubeless set-up. I have DT Swiss XR4.1d rims and am using the DT Swiss (eclipse) conversion product. I read all about using soapy water, so I will be doing that to help get the beads sealed.

1) I have heard Conti's are fairly easy to mount, but should I expect to need tire levers with these and all other UST tires? I don't find them necessary with kevlar tires, but everyone seems to use with UST. I have read a few threads where people are using motorcycle levers, and it certainly seems like that could damage the rims.

2) I would also be interested in hearing from anyone that uses UST tires with a tubeless system on non-UST rims WITHOUT using sealant. Does this worrk well or do you lose pressure often. Thorns aren't a problem for me so I don't need sealant for that reason.

Any other words of wisdom would also be appreciated...

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
No levers apparently...

From the manufacturers blurb (Mavic in my case), we're not supposed to use any type of tyre levers when mounting UST tyres, in case they damage the UST-specific bead design.

I did have some trouble but ultimately managed to mount my UST Nevegal's on X3.1 rims without the use of levers. Plenty of soapy water + a helpful link passed on to me by Shiggy http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

P.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Levers it is

Tires just arrived today. I will attempt to mount them lever free on Saturday. Hopefully this tubeless thing will work out.

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
Did I say soapy water?

There are plenty of threads here that detail UST installation and issues. Soapy water will make your life easier, and remember to not install the valve too tight or to loose. If you find the tyre is loosing or not taking on air, you may wish to rotate the tyre on the rim a quarter turn or so. You may have to do this a couple of times.

In my case, both tyres aired up 1st time using a cheapo foot pump, though I did have to rotate my rear tyre as it was loosing air... Have fun.

P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts