Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've searched and searched the forum and I've read that the Trail King 2.4's seem on the narrow side for a 2.4, and then I've also read that they are more on the narrow side. Which is it? Maybe I'm reading older threads regarding an older version of the tire?

Reason I'm asking is because I've got 2.35 Nevegals right now and anything wider will not fit in my frame. So if the Trail king 2.4's are undersized, I would go with it. But if they are oversized I'm wondering if the 2.2's would be more comparable in size. Can anyone clear that up for me?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Trail Kings are oversized, go with the 2.2.

The Mountain Kings are undersized. I guess that's probably where the confusion comes from.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I run a 2.20" Conti Trail King on the front and while I might not call it oversized, it seems to be as advertised. It measures a full .100" wider than the 2.20" Kenda Karma Pro I have on the rear.

The Conti TK has been great, looking to buy one for the front, probably 2.4 and rotate the 2.2 to the back.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The TK 2.2 is slightly bigger than a 2.35 Nev.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Not a perfect comparison but bottom is 2.4 tk, then 2.4 mk, then 2.35 bonty xr4, then spec butcher. Tk is biggest and tallest

·
Registered
890 Posts

Not a perfect comparison but bottom is 2.4 tk, then 2.4 mk, then 2.35 bonty xr4, then spec butcher. Tk is biggest and tallest
I saw a pic of a mounted TK 2.4x26 next to a mounted 27.5 tire, I forget which one unfortunately but the TK was either the same height or a bit taller.

My TK 2.2x26 is a smidge wider than my MK I 2.4x26.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
My 26x2.4 TK is exactly 1/2 shorter than a 650bx2.4 TK. It was also wider than 2.4 brand new freshly mounted.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The 2.2 TK tread is very narrow though[ nactaully the same width as the MK 2 2.2 tread].On a Crest the 27.5 version is only about 53 mm. From memory the casing is only about 56mm wide. Very tall for a 2.2 though,close to a HD 2.35.
From memory the 2.4 26" version tread was about 58mm wide and the casing about 60mm.Very tall though, nearly 5mm taller than a HD 2.35.

Don't discount it's ability on such a narrow tread though. It has a good solid edge that bites early

1 - 10 of 10 Posts