Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Grand Master Jedi
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about how big this tire was, I was afraid it would be crazy overkill for my Turner 5.Spot but after installing them today, I think they are perfect! Actual width is only 2.25-2.3 and they weigh about 950g. First ride is tomorrow but so far they look like a great trail tire. Much smaller than I was expecting, and I think that's a good thing!

The X-King 2.4's I was running all summer have been great, but I decided I needed a bit more tire to take advantage of the new Turner.

·
Grand Master Jedi
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the other reason I posted it here... Kind of a warning just in case anyone was considering using this tire for really aggressive FR tire. It's a nice tire, but not the FR Goliath some might think it is...

·
Just Ride !
842 Posts
ISO Width is 54mm, that isn't big for a 2.4 .. MK /X-Kings are 60mm .

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Just measured my Trail King 2.4 UST. It measured 2.39" knob to knob, and the casing was 2.44". Rim width is 24mm (inside).

I guess yours aren't UST?

·
Just Ride !
842 Posts
If everyone claims that the TK 2.4 is HUGE where as the ISO width spec shows smallish for a 2.4 . The MK and XK 2.4 is claimed as a small where the ISO spec is larger than a TK. What gives? Basicly take all those width specs and throw em out the window?

·
Grand Master Jedi
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My tires ARE UST tires and I think they are great after my first ride! A bit slower sure but loads more traction in the leaves and on the loose/sketchy sections. I also was one of only 2 people in our large group to make it up the 'Tower of Power' climb, which is CRAZY steep rocks/roots/gravel.

Measured again after this 2hr ride and the tire is still only 2.25 at the outermost edge of the knobs. Might plump out a bit more on much wider rims, but doesn't seem like much.

Great trail tire for bigger folks in rough terrain though... Lot's o traction!

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
I just measured my rear UST TK 2.2, and it measured 2.27" from outside knobs. They are great tires, but yours might be mislabeled or something... My front 2.4 was over 1100 grams (UST kevlar bead), looks like yours were lighter at 950 gram.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,881 Posts
My 2.4 Rubber Queen (folding, non-ust) is ~960g and measures pretty close to 2.4 at the casing on an XM321 rim (21mm internal width).

In terms of casing volume it bigger than the Nobby Nic 2.4 , Specialized Enduro 2.4, or Big Betty 2.4 (and of course way bigger than the old Mountain King 2.4).

Sounds like there may be different production runs for some Conti models. I remember a few years ago, some Race King 2.2 Supersonic tires were coming up a bit smaller than others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2.2's Mtn Kings (UST) were also undersized but worked well mounted on Crossmax on my 26 S Works HT race bike

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
I just received new 2.2 and 2.4 Trail King tires. Here are my measurements, mounted to a XM819 rim:

2.2 UST folding Trail King, made in Germany
2.09" knob-to-knob
2.14" casing
780 gram

2.4 UST folding Trail King, made in Germany
2.28" knob-to-knob
2.31" casing
1140 gram

So it looks like this new batch (especially the 2.2) is markedly smaller than the older ones, but around the same weight. That's unfortunate.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I just received new 2.2 and 2.4 Trail King tires. Here are my measurements, mounted to a XM819 rim:

2.2 UST folding Trail King, made in Germany
2.09" knob-to-knob
2.14" casing
780 gram

2.4 UST folding Trail King, made in Germany
2.28" knob-to-knob
2.31" casing
1140 gram

So it looks like this new batch (especially the 2.2) is markedly smaller than the older ones, but around the same weight. That's unfortunate.
ummm got that backwards? :confused: unless the knobs are indented? :p

I like the Conti tires for the reason they are measured and listed at max knob width. if you measure your frame and you have 2.5 spacing you know the 2.4 will actually fit. My frame is tight in the back and measured out to 2.3 I got a Nevagal 2.2 29er and it rubbed, the Conti Mtn King fits nicely.

I do notice the stretch out a good bit over time too!

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
The casing is indeed wider than the knobs. I have seen other tires stretch, but the sidewall on these UST tires is very stout, I doubt my old ones have stretched much.
ahh gotcha.. I thought they rolled out/down the side more... I can see now in the picture it's sorta a "flat" tread... if that makes sense.. :confused: though the tread still looks like it sticks out the side a good bit,.. probably camera angle...

check them again in like a month and see how much they stretch.. those are much more beefy than my Mtn Kings are so the may not as much.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's the height of the 2.4 Rubber queens that I thought was unusual, the width is similar to a 2.4 Ardent but it's a deeper casing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts