Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did Conti start making/producting their tires from Thailand?

I just picked up a set of new contis (explorer pros) and noticed this, all the other tires from conti I have/had were made in Germany.

I have a very old pair of xc 1.5 tires with the brown sidewalls, the traeds are worn down/ lots of miles on these!!

Replaced them with the same tire, but with ablack wall and noticed that the treads have started to split open, these are not as old either, different compound/material maybe

Always liked the stuff from Conti, but will see how these new explorers hold up

·
Registered
833 Posts
I remember an MBA tire review where they mentioned that Conti started manufacturing the Explorers in the far east, and the new casiing was a little bit narrower than the older versions. It was 2004 or 2005. Anyway, my explorers are wearing pretty well.
fab

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Vernon VernDog said:
When did Conti start making/producting their tires from Thailand?

I just picked up a set of new contis (explorer pros) and noticed this, all the other tires from conti I have/had were made in Germany.

I have a very old pair of xc 1.5 tires with the brown sidewalls, the traeds are worn down/ lots of miles on these!!

Replaced them with the same tire, but with ablack wall and noticed that the treads have started to split open, these are not as old either, different compound/material maybe

Always liked the stuff from Conti, but will see how these new explorers hold up
At least 5-6 years ago. Maybe longer. A very few models are still made in Germany. Some are now coming from India.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
krayzie said:
My Conti Twister Supersonics that I bought last year are still Made in Germany. It'll have a "Made in Germany" sticker on the front packaging.
Basically only the Supersonic and some UST mtb models are still made in Germany.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
re: tires

Thanx for the info,

I figured Conti now has a name, lets cut costs and start making money, just like everything else from clothes to cars..

Is the vertical pro "protection" still made in Germany?

While the tire is labeled a 2.3 I find the conti's on the narrow side, along with some michelin models as well.

Some of my favorite tires
Michelin wildgripper comp s
Schwable little albert (29er)
Conti xc 1.5 version(light and fast)

switched over to try
Conti explorer/survival
Michelin axt at 29er version
VernDogger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.