Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mountain King Supersonic 2.4 (claimed 530g)
Mountain King Supersonic 2.2 (claimed 460g)
Speed King Supersonic 2.3 (claimed 450g)
Speed King Supersonic 2.1 (claimed 400g)

Has anyone weighed these to determine real world weights? What are getting? Close to claimed or huge deviation?? :confused:

thnx! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx man! :thumbsup:

I don't know how many sets you measured, or if that was the first you laid hands on - but looks like Conti has tighter control on their weights...

I was looking at a Speed King SS 2.3 at my local shop (they only had one) - and man did it seem really small... like more like 2.0 small.... How do you find them? I guess if running a SK on the back, it's not as big a deal...

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
light but bad performers...

I had the opportunity to select some Speedking tires. Therefore i was able to get some really light ones:

Speedking 2,1" SS: 404g (i have seen them as low as 383g)
Speedking 2,3" SS; 409g

BUT i really can't suggest the Speedkings to anybody.They are some of the worst performing tires i remember to have mounted ever! The tall, soft knobs will fold when cornering which makes you wash out.Very unprecise and for me even dangerous when trying to attack corners. Durability is pretty bad as is grip on soft soil! You would think it would do quite good with it's open tread design but it is just bad. The 2,0" size is super-skinny.That's more like a 1,8" size. So i also tried the 2,3" on my rigid hardtail and expected to get some cushion...nada! The tires felt springy regardless of the pressure i tried.

The MountainKing's i weighed weren't selected:
Mountain King 2.2" SS: 482g

The Mountain King is a very good allrounder.Not exceptionally fast but not slow either. Grip level is ok on a wide variety of terrains. For me too mediocre to be used again when compared to the Conti Race King 2,2" SS (450g) which for me just excells everywhere: superfast rolling (!!),great grip, awesome comfort (it's huge tire!),great durability...Mr. Perfect!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts