Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
The Race King is a different animal on a 29er. With a larger contact point, you can get away with less tread. The Race King is loved by many on a 29er. I don't run them because I don't like how they react to the trail when setup tubeless.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have them in 2.2 on my 29 ss and 26 ss bikes on the rear with a beefier tyre up front. On the 29 with P35 rims, I can use 20psi and get plenty of grip on the climbs and it rolls fast. I love the way it breaks out and oversteers on hard or wet corners.. drifting the back is such a good feeling )

Not converted them to tubeless yet tho so read frdfandc's point with interest. I guess the casing's just too thin for tubeless use? Esp at lower psi.

·
Registered
688 Posts
When I bought my bike 3 years ago it had 29 2.2 Race Kings front and rear. They were a decent tire, not good in wet, but I wouldn't expect them to be. I ran them tubed for a season and overall liked them. I just one on the rear for a couple months tubeless. I liked it tubeless too and had no set up issues at all. It would leak a bit of air over a week but I'm suspicious of my yellow tape leaking a bit. It does seem to have a very soft sidewall. I was bottoming out the tire on the rim at pressures I was usually running my Rampages at. I left a Rampage on the front, but when it's dry/moist the Race King works well. Now that it's more slippery fall conditions here in the VT I've gone back to the Rampage rear.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Anyone run the Protection version? That additional layer of rubber added sidewall stiffness (imho) on my 26er (running x-king protections). Transitioning from 26er to 29er, and I want a race tire with a big emphasis on cut protection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.