Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating between the Mountain King 2.4 and Speed King 2.3 combination front/rear (and both SuperSonic)

Or MK SS 2.2 / SK SS 2.1

Trail riding on technical single track. A few roots. The odd rock garden. Nothing seriously rocky though at all, and nothing gnarly like North Shore.

Debating whether the extra weight (might be as much as 100g) for the set is worth the extra couple mm. I run a Nev 2.1 / Ralph 2.1 combo right now, and had Nev 2.1 / SB8 1.95 at one time, so I'm in need of something super wide.

Thnx! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
The speed king 2.1 is a small tire in terms of volume. The Mountain king 2.2 isn't too bad, but by no means would i call it a tire that would fall into the super wide category.

Maybe try the race king, huge volume, low rolling resistance, protection version is about 550g's. Then throw a Mtn king 2.4 up front and you will have balance out the weight and volume contingencies. I rode the mtn king 2.4's for a while, protection version @ 740g's. Heavy but a good handling tire with tons of grip and will make for a nice smooth ride compared to the 2.2 and especially compared to the 2.1 speed king. (I didn't care much for the 2.1 speed king).

Good luck

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Speed Kings are just horrible, 2.3 Pro and Super tested, the Black Chilli is good stuff though, feel REALLY slow aswell, got to run them hard or they turn into slick tyres to.

Race King 2.2 is huge volume and makes from a great rear tyre, not quite enough bite on the mud in the forest so swapped it to a MK 2.4 for the winter ( ill not tested yet, maybe sunday ), quick road trip to compare to the RK 2.2 is, less volume and much slower though :(

So MK Front 2.4 Super should be great, RK 2.2 rear will keep the bike nice and fast, really good traction in most cases to.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,390 Posts
MI_canuck said:
Debating between the Mountain King 2.4 and Speed King 2.3 combination front/rear (and both SuperSonic)

Or MK SS 2.2 / SK SS 2.1

Trail riding on technical single track. A few roots. The odd rock garden. Nothing seriously rocky though at all, and nothing gnarly like North Shore.

Debating whether the extra weight (might be as much as 100g) for the set is worth the extra couple mm. I run a Nev 2.1 / Ralph 2.1 combo right now, and had Nev 2.1 / SB8 1.95 at one time, so I'm in need of something super wide.

Thnx! :thumbsup:
It really depends on who you ask. IMO, the extra width is worth the extra weight. You can run lower pressure, and I just find the wider tires to be better in any technical situation.

I have not tried the RK, but for the most part I don't hear great things about it on these boards, and a riding buddy of mine really disliked the one he had on the rear of his bike. It was a protection model, so I think it was not black chili, so that could have had something to do with it. Not sure of the size, either. It was a bit smaller than the MK 2.4 or the RK 2.2 I have.

I would look into the RK 2.2 for the rear. MASSIVE volume, very, very fast tire. I never went for low tread tires because I want real grip, especially when climbing, but this tire really floored me how good it was in the rear. I think the thin casing helps it conform to the ground better or something because unless it was slick mud it climbs as good as any tire I have tried and was THE best ever on wet rocks and roots. I am sure the black chili has a lot to do with it as well. The down side was that with basically no side knobs it did not keep of with the front (Mountain King) on hard corners with anything lose (anything NOT clean hardpack).

Keep in mind that the SS casing is paper thin. As much as I like the RK SS I have, I'm really just saving it for specific occasions, such as if I decide to do some races next year. After about 100 miles the threads were already showing very much. It looks like tires I have run for over a year. I have a MK 2.4 Protection, and that is a very reliable tire. Unfortunately, the RK Protection is NOT black chili, something I think is a very stupid decision on Conti's part.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ended up with Racing Ralph EVO 2.25 / 2.1

The 2.25 is nice and large... Grip is outstanding (running them tubeless)... Rolls SUPER fast

1 - 5 of 5 Posts