Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of these yesterday fedex from Cambria. Easy to mount but had to take to the gas station to get them to seat. Ran into a rather large issue with one tire: It leaked like a sieve. Pin holes, about 6 in one area and 2 rather large holes a few inches away. The large holes actually made a breeze when the air came out. The only way the tire held air was to put in some Stan's - made finding all the holes very easy. Even with the Stans, the tire leaked down in an hour. The other tire - the one that held air - appears to have leaked down some overnite. Quick check by just squeezing the tire on the way out the door this morn (its a fetish I have).

Is this a quality assurance issue with Conti? These tires are new. Anyone else have issues with these guys? I was going to use them this weekend, but will have to get a RMA or exchange. This sucks. The tires look good and I was really looking forward to checking them out.

I have never had this happen to me before, but hey, I'm fairly new to UST. My other tires on the other bike are WeirWolfs and they never have any issues of any kind. Yet.

BTW I am using UST rims. The rims, Mavics, are doing just fine. Got a good even bead seal.

Rick

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cambria Just RA my tire

Real easy. I have another on the way also so I can ride this weekend. I wish I had a local dealer of these in MN.

Rick

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved - tires mislabled

I got home today and the other tire was flat. So, I read all the labels on the tire and on the packaging and the only reference to UST was on the Cambria label. Called them up and sure enough, these were mislabled as Diesel UST by someone at Cambria.

Oh well. Both are going back for refund. I bought another Diesel (that's the last they had in stock) and they checked both the tire and the packaging and it is a UST.

The bad news: this sux. The other bad news: don't attempt to make the non-UST Diesels into a Stans no-tube type tire, the sidewall leak a lot. Even the Stans goop did not seal them up.

Rick

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
badlander said:
I got home today and the other tire was flat. So, I read all the labels on the tire and on the packaging and the only reference to UST was on the Cambria label. Called them up and sure enough, these were mislabled as Diesel UST by someone at Cambria.

Oh well. Both are going back for refund. I bought another Diesel (that's the last they had in stock) and they checked both the tire and the packaging and it is a UST.

The bad news: this sux. The other bad news: don't attempt to make the non-UST Diesels into a Stans no-tube type tire, the sidewall leak a lot. Even the Stans goop did not seal them up.

Rick
I wondered if that may have been the issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2.3s

I use a set of non-ust 2.3 Diesels converted to tubless by stans. Hold air good for 2-3 days, will go from low 30s PSI to high 20s PSI. Great ride and traction, at 175 miles cut the rear tire bead to knobby on a sharp stone, booted it and got back to the truck at about 10 psi. New back tire and I'm off again. How doe the Diesels compare to Verical Pro's? I got the diesels at $20 each.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how they compare

I ain't got nuttn yet. To put salt in the wound, Cambria was supposed to 2-day ship a tire to me on Wed so I could have it this weekend. It was shipped yesterday afternoon - I will get it Monday.

Pissed, seriously.

I just got some Specialized Enduro Pro tubless 2.4's for this weekend. Maybe I will like them better than the Diesel's - if I ever get a set of the Diesel's.

Just pissed about this one. Cambria has been a very good supplier for me, I have spent a lot of money with those guys - probably on the order of $1,500 to $2,000 (probably more)and I have not had an issue other than delayed shipping in the past when it really didn't matter. But this was crunch time, and they blew it completely.

JensonUSA, Pricepoint, Performance, Nashbar and others all seem to have it together when you order - the order usually goes out the same day. I ordered once off the Cambria website and it took a couple of WEEKS to get my stuff. Their site just does not reflect stock. Since then I always call in and ask if it is in stock unless I don't care when I get it.

Just pissed.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
badlander said:
I just got a set of these yesterday fedex from Cambria. Easy to mount but had to take to the gas station to get them to seat. Ran into a rather large issue with one tire: It leaked like a sieve. Pin holes, about 6 in one area and 2 rather large holes a few inches away. The large holes actually made a breeze when the air came out. The only way the tire held air was to put in some Stan's - made finding all the holes very easy. Even with the Stans, the tire leaked down in an hour. The other tire - the one that held air - appears to have leaked down some overnite. Quick check by just squeezing the tire on the way out the door this morn (its a fetish I have).

Is this a quality assurance issue with Conti? These tires are new. Anyone else have issues with these guys? I was going to use them this weekend, but will have to get a RMA or exchange. This sucks. The tires look good and I was really looking forward to checking them out.

I have never had this happen to me before, but hey, I'm fairly new to UST. My other tires on the other bike are WeirWolfs and they never have any issues of any kind. Yet.

BTW I am using UST rims. The rims, Mavics, are doing just fine. Got a good even bead seal.

Rick
UST, non-UST, Stans, or no Stans my initial impression of this tire is good.

I have the wire bead version and the Conti site says "wire version was equipped with additional reinforcement". They roll surprisingly well for a big heavy tire and don't feel like paddle wheels considering the size and amount of traction.

Good luck with your Enduros. I really liked that tire, but I had bad luck with knobs peeling on at least 4 of them and two of the many have been reliable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a similar issue with Conti Twisters

They were my first UST tires and they wouldn't hold air for more than a few hours. I though my bead wasn't seating properly until I sprayed some soapy water on them and they were full of pin holes. A dose of Stan's sealed them up and they lasted me a year.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are supposed to be the new and

bitflogger said:
UST, non-UST, Stans, or no Stans my initial impression of this tire is good.

I have the wire bead version and the Conti site says "wire version was equipped with additional reinforcement". They roll surprisingly well for a big heavy tire and don't feel like paddle wheels considering the size and amount of traction.

Good luck with your Enduros. I really liked that tire, but I had bad luck with knobs peeling on at least 4 of them and two of the many have been reliable.
improved enduros for 2005. So far so good.

So far I have acquired one Conti Diesel UST 2.5, and am waiting for someone to get them in stock so I can get another. Anyone know of another supplier on-line? I got the one at CBO, but it was the last one. I have been searching aroung for another supplier but no one I can find list the Diesel. I am going to check back with CBO, but I just feel burned on this whole deal.

Rick

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
badlander said:
improved enduros for 2005. So far so good.

So far I have acquired one Conti Diesel UST 2.5, and am waiting for someone to get them in stock so I can get another. Anyone know of another supplier on-line? I got the one at CBO, but it was the last one. I have been searching aroung for another supplier but no one I can find list the Diesel. I am going to check back with CBO, but I just feel burned on this whole deal.

Rick
Try a good LBS known for taking customer requests. They'll contact the distributor right away and you'll know if the shortage is from the source or a larger firm just not making their order right away.

I just got a part from LBS in 3 days (said ship ground or cheapest) that no big web and catalog firm had or said they could get soon and it was just because the LBS made the order minutes after the request.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.