Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my old tires, but at some point (now) I have to get a new set of tires - especially during this long hot summer where I'm thinking, locally, it's going to be dry and loose.

I like the Nevegals DTC 2.1 (F) but I was also looking at the Eskars 2.1 and I've heard Specialized is coming out (came out) with improved sidewall protection since theirs currently look a little flimsy. Not sure what to run on the rear end yet.

Basically, to make a long story short....what have people been using lately out here in the wild wild west? Bushpig could chime in too since he seems to cruise through Central Park alot and it's definitely a little wild there. ;)

edit: oops. forgot to say, clincher.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
sfgirlonbike said:
Bushpig could chime in too since he seems to cruise through Central Park alot and it's definitely a little wild there. ;)
Ha ha in your face BP! :D :p

Generally speaking, tires designed by companies here locally, perform well here locally.

I've liked my Specialized Fast Trak a lot. (I suppose you could opt for the Armadillo for flat protection) http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=35765

I also ran WTB Weirwolf 2.55LT's on my modern bike with good all around results in the dry, but most likely too big for your application (assuming its vintage).

I've not tried them, but Small Block 8's seem to be a popular choice too.

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...yeah...I look like that too. ;)

Rump: Yeah, I initially wanted SB8 in the back and Nevegals in the front but the SB8s look like they were going to slip all the way up a hill.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Down here in SoCal, I have been running 2.3 Kenda Nevagals. Right now I have one of the StickE Nevegals (or whatever) on the front. I love the tire but will be going with the no sticky in the future do to fast wear and the tendency to pickup indifidual grains of sand and shoot them at my face (the rubber is that sticky). Kenda even has some sort of side wall protection option that makes the sidewalls semi-reflective in case you ride road at night. Before the new bike and the Nevegals I was very happy with the WTB Mutano Raptor in the back a Velociraptor up front of the '97 RM Element TO. Back in the early 90's I had two different Specialized Umma Gumma tires blow out the sidewalls halfway between the edge fo the rim and the tread (and my brake pads were NOTrubbing). I know that was a long time ago, but turned me off to Specialized tires for a while and now I don't want to give any money to the evil empire. For vintage tires I really liked the Joe Murray tires (the first black wall tires that I knew of).

I've got SB8's on the tandem, but it never sees real off-road with my daughter on the back. Maybe once she gets more interested.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
if you were to crop that photo from about the bottom of the numberplate up, you could almost say you had a sasqwatch siting.
Ha-ha.

I'll have to take a better look, but I think the only thing vintage in that photo is the glasses.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Nevegal DTC, front, and SB8, rear, both in 2.1 for XC. It's the hot ticket. If you're doing a little more downward vertical, go to 2.3, front, or run the Stickee compound. I don't think a light rider like you will need anything bigger that the 2.1, though.

All those little siped square knobs on the SB8 create lots of biting surfaces, so no worries on traction in the typical hardpack/ loose over hardpack trails of much of the bay area. If you have concerns, run Nevegals fr/rr.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.