Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have restored an old 1995 GT RTS-2 but am having problems finding a fork that will work with it's old school geometry. I put on a 2005 or 2006 Judy XC but it has an axle to crown ht. of around 18" and I just do not like the way it handles, plus I am a little concerned about the leverage the head tube on a '95 frame would encounter with today's longer forks. My Judy DH I originally had on the frame measured out around 16.5". Does anyone know of a new (recent) 3" travel xc fork that has a similar a-c measurement of around 16.5"? I have not been able to get a-c measurements on any of Fox's or Rock Shox offerings. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Uruk-hai said:
I have restored an old 1995 GT RTS-2 but am having problems finding a fork that will work with it's old school geometry. I put on a 2005 or 2006 Judy XC but it has an axle to crown ht. of around 18" and I just do not like the way it handles, plus I am a little concerned about the leverage the head tube on a '95 frame would encounter with today's longer forks. My Judy DH I originally had on the frame measured out around 16.5". Does anyone know of a new (recent) 3" travel xc fork that has a similar a-c measurement of around 16.5"? I have not been able to get a-c measurements on any of Fox's or Rock Shox offerings. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Fairly recent SID SL forks could be set to 60mm I think, and you should be able to find a decent deal on one (lightly used maybe?)

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Just post over on the VRC board...

You will have MANY responses. The riders over there are always helpful. Plus, you'll probably have people asking you questions about your vintage rig. (Or, even offers for sale of forks "of that era" that they are willing to part with.)
I was in the same boat as I ride a '97 era Eastern Woods Research. LOVE the bike. Just wondering what I'm going to do once my Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 from 1998 goes. It's been rebuilt MANY times over the years. Buttery smooth but with only 70mm of travel.

Just MHO but I think that you'd do well posting on VRC.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.