Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Nasi0ne
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Returned recently from a yr abroad travelling and looking to build up a new bike as i sold my old bike before i left as i much needed the funds. Was riding a 09 yeti 575 previously and loved the bike unfortunately didnt get enough rides on it to fully test its abilities.

Anyway now im back looking to get a bike built up as massively missing riding. Swaying towards going for a Mk2 nomad, would be nice to build a slightly bigger (160mm) bike, as would like to get a few trips over to the alps in over the summer. Just wondered if anyone can give me some feed back on how the nomad rides and fairs on welsh (british) trails ie. Afan, cwm carn, Glentress etc. where i do most of my riding. I,ve heard about its 'do it all' abilities but wondered how it handles the techy climbs and wether people think its a little to much bike for your average trail riding. Also been looking at Lapierre spicys, zestys, or the new yeti 575...... Dont know if anyone has any experience of both yeti 575's and Nomads and how they compare? Any feed back and advise would be much appreciated. Been away from riding for way to long!! Cheers in advance!

PS. How nice does the new Santa Cruz carbon look!!! trying to justify spending that much on a frame tho.......... and struggling!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Nasi0ne said:
Hello! Returned recently from a yr abroad travelling and looking to build up a new bike as i sold my old bike before i left as i much needed the funds. Was riding a 09 yeti 575 previously and loved the bike unfortunately didnt get enough rides on it to fully test its abilities.

Anyway now im back looking to get a bike built up as massively missing riding. Swaying towards going for a Mk2 nomad, would be nice to build a slightly bigger (160mm) bike, as would like to get a few trips over to the alps in over the summer. Just wondered if anyone can give me some feed back on how the nomad rides and fairs on welsh (british) trails ie. Afan, cwm carn, Glentress etc. where i do most of my riding. I,ve heard about its 'do it all' abilities but wondered how it handles the techy climbs and wether people think its a little to much bike for your average trail riding. Also been looking at Lapierre spicys, zestys, or the new yeti 575...... Dont know if anyone has any experience of both yeti 575's and Nomads and how they compare? Any feed back and advise would be much appreciated. Been away from riding for way to long!! Cheers in advance!

PS. How nice does the new Santa Cruz carbon look!!! trying to justify spending that much on a frame tho.......... and struggling!
I don't know where your from but here in Colorado, they have state sponsored cars, Subaru and Jeep:eekster: and the MTB of choice is a Yeti 575. Its amazing how many of them you see on the trail. We have 4-6 in our riding group. All of the guys except one have had a new rear triangle. Yeti's been through quite a few designs and finally has a good one on the 11' model from the ASR-7. The Nomad is slacker than the older 575 models, I haven't looked up the numbers on the newest one. I think the Nomad is stiffer but much of that could be a a 20mm TA and 1.5 steertube. I love the way the Nomad climbs but I am a huge fan of the VPP. All the guys in my group love the way their 575's climb too. I think the VPP has better traction, but what do I know. The Nomad is heavier in the aluminum model and is a better descender IMO by far. Again I am pretty biased on VPP SC bikes too. I would say the 575 is much closer to a BLT 2 than a Nomad mk2. Its more of a trail bike than an AM bike.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm in CO too, and yes the 575 is ubiquitous in these hills. Like wilson mentioned, you need to compare the 575 to the blt, not so much the nomad. asr-7 is the nomad's competition. Check sizing too, Yeti's run big. The nomad offers the ability to run up to a 180 fork and 2.7 rubber. It's a better bike for someone that wants a very capable AM/FR set up in a light package. Go with the 575 or blt if you want 2.3 tires and shorter fork. You can climb anything with either bike depending on skill level, but a 575 or blt with short fork will make climbing easier and both will be capable bikes for most situations. Personally I think the blt is put together better than the 575. Grease ports, through axles, and angular contact bearings make the SC bikes stiff and reliable.

·
Nasi0ne
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the feedback guys, Made an impulse buy today and went for the Blur LTc frame. Heard such good stuff about it, infact the only negative feedback i have heard is the paint can chip..... Just decided the nomad was a little to much bike for the majority of my riding and the blur ltc would be a much better option, and if i run it with 150mm revs will give me all the travel i could need, while still being a gd climber and being light and nippy.

Strange to hear how many yeti 575's our out on the trails out there. Im from the uk and admittedly havent been out riding for a gd 15 months as i,ve been travellin for the last 13, but i know when i got my yeti 575 it was the only one i ever came across on the trails i ride. And most people would sit and drool over it whenever i got it out the car. Might of changed now there might be alot more of them around.... :/. I was a big fan of the bike and like i said didnt get enough rides out of it to really push it and see what it was made off! but the last few rides on it before i sold it to my mate, when it had bedded it where amazing!

Anymore feedback on 575 and Blur LTC comparisons would be really apprecaited.

·
Registered
143 Posts
NasiOne,

Im from the UK and regularly frequent the Welsh/Scottish trail centres....the 575's are still quite rare and admittedly they are lovely bikes! However Im a Santa Cruz convert here and have just purchased my 2nd second Santa Cruz frame to build up....A Lime Green Butcher. I came from a Heckler and I did look at the Blur LT but the cost of the frame was prohibitive and the Head Angle was not as slack as the Butcher...same geometry as the Heckler.
However I know the Blurs pedal really well and Im sure you will be happy.....575s/Blurs/Nomads/Butchers etc all very good bikes and not a bad apple amongst them!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
stevebrock said:
NasiOne,

Im from the UK and regularly frequent the Welsh/Scottish trail centres....the 575's are still quite rare and admittedly they are lovely bikes! However Im a Santa Cruz convert here and have just purchased my 2nd second Santa Cruz frame to build up....A Lime Green Butcher. I came from a Heckler and I did look at the Blur LT but the cost of the frame was prohibitive and the Head Angle was not as slack as the Butcher...same geometry as the Heckler.
However I know the Blurs pedal really well and Im sure you will be happy.....575s/Blurs/Nomads/Butchers etc all very good bikes and not a bad apple amongst them!
I got to ride at the Seven Stanes Parks and Whinlatter in the Lake District in 09 and in 06 rode the Red Bull trails in Whales. I loved it. You guys have some of my favorite riding in all the world in the UK.

You are right all those bikes are great. I like the newer 575 with the hydro formed tubes better than the old version. Here in the US there are some good deals on those as well as the BLT aluminum versions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.