Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some small parts from Avid, but their email and phone are now SRAM, and SRAM isn't being helpful at the moment.

I'm looking for a set or two of v-chips for the oldschool Ultimate levers. Last I contacted Avid they had them, but I've got no direct email or phone to [email protected] who was helping me there a couple months ago.

TIA!
Serge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Sram Phone Number

The Avid web site has been updated with the SRAM number. It is -l 800-346-2928 or email [email protected]. I have had a couple of waranty issues lately and they have been pretty good. There seems to be a change in warranty approach as now you have to go to a dealer and have them call on some issues. I did have a couple of things where they simply sent the small parts and I did not have to go to a dealer to have them inspect and call for warranty parts. Call them as they are conversant when it comes to problems and they are professional. d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SRAM a no go w/ small parts... anyone got some v-chips for ultimate levers?

Talked with 'Ed' at SRAM just now.
Again, I got nowhere, he said 'Avid small parts are few and far between, just a sec' and put me on hold for about 2 seconds. He came back and said he only has the 'modulator adapters' for SRAM levers and said "looks like you'll just have to get some new levers..." with a salesmans practiced suggestive silence. He was nice, but not of any help with more questions about where I might find them or who else to talk to.

I'm just annoyed, since Avid had the v-chips before they were absorbed by SRAM and now SRAM just wants me to buy their levers. Rant mode off...

On another note, the old Avid number still seems operational if anyone has an extension for someone who might still be working there. I just tossed an old card from [email protected] while cleaning out my parts box, but he hasn't worked there for a couple yrs now.

Lesson learned, don't put off getting those small parts if you think you might need 'em!

Oh, anyone got a pic of the v-chip?
I could have a friend machine them if I knew what they looked like and perhaps had some dimensions.
Thanks again!
Serge

logbiter said:
I'm looking to get some small parts from Avid, but their email and phone are now SRAM, and SRAM isn't being helpful at the moment.

I'm looking for a set or two of v-chips for the oldschool Ultimate levers. Last I contacted Avid they had them, but I've got no direct email or phone to [email protected] who was helping me there a couple months ago.

TIA!
Serge
 

·
Stabbitha
Joined
·
140 Posts
Avid didn't have these when I called from the last shop I worked at. That was a looooooong time ago. I don't think it has anything to do with the aquisition by sram. Be happy you got 7-8 years out of your levers

Time for new levers is sound advice...the v-chip/old lever combo doesn't work as well as the new ultimates anyhow.
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
logbiter said:
Talked with 'Ed' at SRAM just now.
Oh crap.

SRAM read this. The reason I began using Avid's stuff to begin with was because I bent a '97 era Shimano brake lever handle in '99 (I believe it was still their current model), and at the time had no luck getting a replacement. Avid's replacement parts support was legendary on these boards, so I picked up a set of newly introduced SD Mag levers that I still use today. Dennis and later Lonnie were insturmental in building Avid's reputation as a customer service friendly organization.

Ed Najseti, if that's who you spoke to, used to frequent the drivetrain board. I appreciated his willingness to "be here", but to be honest, I never appreciated his "tone". To folks seeking advice, he was very often less than helpful.

SRAM, as an orginazation, has never been customer-friendly (with the exception of their Spectro internal hub guys). But I can fully appreciate a company of this size to require its customers to handle warranty, missing parts, and small parts orders through local SRAM dealers -- it's the exceptional company that deals with the customer direct.

If this is in fact the direction SRAM is taking Avid, it's sad but perhaps expected. Avid has a lineup of great products, but it was their outsdanding customer service that put them above the rest and generated so much impassioned brand loyality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Yes it may be time for new levers

I contacted Avid about the V-chip 2 years ago and they were around 20-25 bucks. Around 6 months ago I called again and the V-chips were gone. If you have to have the v-chip lever they still pop up on E-bay.

Like Flow says, the new Ultimate's are better.

Flow 559 said:
Avid didn't have these when I called from the last shop I worked at. That was a looooooong time ago. I don't think it has anything to do with the aquisition by sram. Be happy you got 7-8 years out of your levers

Time for new levers is sound advice...the v-chip/old lever combo doesn't work as well as the new ultimates anyhow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well put, as always

Since '96 I've been using Avid's levers (the then new SD 2.0's for those wonderful 1st generation XT v-brakes) I soon moved on the many sets of better brakes & levers from Avid over the years ever since. I agree, Avid always had excellent CS, even if Dennis and Lonnie were swamped (they always were), they did an excellent job. I also concur with your comments about Ed, if it is indeed the same person.

I do understand that Avid is no more, and who knows what happened to all their small parts, employees, etc... guys in Englewood? Colorado, keep your eye out for an Avid garage sale!
I guess it'lll be hard for SRAM to keep up the level of CS (ala Avid ), but let's hope they try. I'll shoot Larry an email and see if he might be able to find some for me, especially since he got a shop in 'the area' of avid.

Thanks,
Serge

Speedüb Nate said:
Oh crap.

SRAM read this. The reason I began using Avid's stuff to begin with was because I bent a '97 era Shimano brake lever handle in '99 (I believe it was still their current model), and at the time had no luck getting a replacement. Avid's replacement parts support was legendary on these boards, so I picked up a set of newly introduced SD Mag levers that I still use today. Dennis and later Lonnie were insturmental in building Avid's reputation as a customer service friendly organization.

Ed Najseti, if that's who you spoke to, used to frequent the drivetrain board. I appreciated his willingness to "be here", but to be honest, I never appreciated his "tone". To folks seeking advice, he was very often less than helpful.

SRAM, as an orginazation, has never been customer-friendly (with the exception of their Spectro internal hub guys). But I can fully appreciate a company of this size to require its customers to handle warranty, missing parts, and small parts orders through local SRAM dealers -- it's the exceptional company that deals with the customer direct.

If this is in fact the direction SRAM is taking Avid, it's sad but perhaps expected. Avid has a lineup of great products, but it was their outsdanding customer service that put them above the rest and generated so much impassioned brand loyality.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top