Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time MTBer, looking at first dual suspension. Really, I have no clue about duallys and have only had occasion to ride a few of them. I am wondering about the different types of rear suspension on the market. Some have a more horizontal suspension with a linkage connected to the top tube, whilst others have a vertical suspension with linkages to the seat tube. And, there appear to be different styles of each. What is the difference/drawbacks among the different types and which is better?

·
Registered
686 Posts
First be honest with yourself about what type of riding you do most. 2nd establish a budget, the most you would be willing to spend and what you are comfortable with. Find a way to demo as many bikes that match those criteria. The good is that there is a ton of really good bikes in every category and suspension type. It will always come down to what you prefer not what I or anybody else thinks. Every Mfg. will make great claims some true some not so true. If you share what your requirements are with this or any forum you will find recommendations all over the map. But it still is not a bad idea to do. Just take it with a grain of salt. Hit up your local shops, watch reviews that most of all the online mags do. But ride and test everything you can.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Here are a couple of good webpages to start your research, but in general where the shock anchors (top tube or BB cluster) has little to do with how the suspension performs:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/basic-mountain-bike-suspension-designs-explained/

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/buyers-guide-to-mountain-bike-suspension-part-2/

In general, designs like VPP and DW Link are considered the most efficient pedaling platforms but some people find them to ride a little harsh.

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First be honest with yourself about what type of riding you do most. 2nd establish a budget, the most you would be willing to spend and what you are comfortable with. Find a way to demo as many bikes that match those criteria. The good is that there is a ton of really good bikes in every category and suspension type. It will always come down to what you prefer not what I or anybody else thinks. Every Mfg. will make great claims some true some not so true. If you share what your requirements are with this or any forum you will find recommendations all over the map. But it still is not a bad idea to do. Just take it with a grain of salt. Hit up your local shops, watch reviews that most of all the online mags do. But ride and test everything you can.
I ride mostly midwest single-track--tight twisty, rooty, rocky. Some flow trails. I don't jump or huck. Considering a dually due to back injury. I usually get along OK with a hardtail or fully rigid Krampug 29+, but some of the hits can set off the back, so I mostly want it just to ease that aspect of it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I will also add that no matter the suspension type you will or will need to have it set up for you and the type of riding you do. If you are either a very light weight/heavy rider to get the most out of it will require some custom tuning. Most Mfg's are going to have base tunes for weights around 150-160lb riders. Read, watch, ride and then ride again.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If that's the case I would focus on the 120-140mm travel trail bikes. Depending on your size both 27.5 and 29ers can work well. If you are not on the shorter size I might point you more towards 29ers. Lots of choices, having them can be a good thing but can also be overwhelming. If you have a local shop that you like it could just come down to that.

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that's the case I would focus on the 120-140mm travel trail bikes. Depending on your size both 27.5 and 29ers can work well. If you are not on the shorter size I might point you more towards 29ers. Lots of choices, having them can be a good thing but can also be overwhelming. If you have a local shop that you like it could just come down to that.
I am a short Clyde--5'8" and 215 pounds. I am leaning towards a 27.5+, as I have never found a 29er that truly feels as comfortable as my old 26er.

·
Registered
686 Posts
As lone ranger says. Don't give up on 29er's geometry has been refined and dialed in in the last couple years. I personally wouldn't do (+) but as I said that's my choice. What brands are carried at your local shops? Can you be more specific on your location, what trails you ride.

·
Registered
18,546 Posts
What brands do the local bike shops carry, and do you have a good relationship with one of them? If you’ve never ridden a full suspension bike then chances are they will all feel good to you. Dealer support is really nice for warranty and maintenance especially if you’re not accustomed to working on suspension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.