Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering a Santa Cruz 5010 probably carbon and with a good enough build to get the X01 transmission. This will be my first mountain bike.

Some background. I'm 28 years old, 5'9 and 175 lbs. I've owned dirtbikes off and on for years and I've rode mountain bikes a fair number of times over the years. I've been to Whistler bike park on a rented bike and I can do runs like A-Line but I'm definitely not quick. I don't use my dirtbike nearly often enough so I'm selling it to get a mountain bike.

I want to get a mountain bike first and foremost for exercise. I want to ride up and down and put in 40 kilometer days from time to time.

I realistically don't see myself jumping much. I rarely jump on my dirtbike. I'm getting older with more responsibilities and I can't afford to be hurt anymore.

I've considered the Bronson but I just don't realistically see myself needing 160 mm of travel. The local bike shop will build me the 5010 with a 140 mm fork and I think that will be lots.

I guess I'm just looking for affirmation on my decision before I go ahead with such a big purchase.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The 5010 is no doubt a great bike and could very well be your ideal new ride, but you might see if you can demo some other rides just to make sure if you haven't already done so. In that price range are a number of awesome bikes. Ex: Ibis Mojo HDR, Giant Trance Advanced.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just picked up that exact bike - 5010C X01.

I had gone back and forth between that and the Bronson and in the end decided that the Bronson was a bit much travel for the type of riding I do on a regular basis.

A couple of things to consider - Bronson's BB Height is a bit higher, wheel base is longer, chainstays are longer, head tube is slacker. It's more downhill oriented, where as the 5010 will be a slightly better climber. Guess it depends on what you're looking for in a bike but personally I don't think you could go wrong either way.

I can attest to the fit and finish on the 5010, as well, being superb. Damn it's a good looking and well built bike.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Yep, great bike and should work really well for what you have in mind. And will allow you to grow with it quite a bit as well. Just ordered that same bike after an exhaustive search and many test rides so may be biased but I liked it better than the HDR and the Trance. I liked the Devinci Troy, Norco Sight (both Carbon) nearly as well just wanted something with less overlap with my 160mm AM/FR bike.

The other two in that travel category with 27.5" wheels I liked were the Turner Flux and Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt but they only come in aluminum for now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KRob,

What fork did you build your 5010 with? I'm leaning towards the Fox TALAS that adjust from 140 to 110 mm. What do you recommend? I think I would like 140 mm travel though.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
KRob,

What fork did you build your 5010 with? I'm leaning towards the Fox TALAS that adjust from 140 to 110 mm. What do you recommend? I think I would like 140 mm travel though.

I'm going to talk to my dealer (Jared at Las Vegas Cyclery) and see what it would cost to swap out for the 34 TALAS and lower it to 140-110mm. I think for my purposes and my weight and how I will use this bike I could live with the 32 130mm Float CTD that comes with it as I was pretty impressed with that fork when I test rode the 5010 at Interbike. However, I always like a stiffer chasis fork if I can get it without too much weight (or cost) penalty. 10 more mm of travel won't hurt either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, great bike and should work really well for what you have in mind. And will allow you to grow with it quite a bit as well. Just ordered that same bike after an exhaustive search and many test rides so may be biased but I liked it better than the HDR and the Trance. I liked the Devinci Troy, Norco Sight (both Carbon) nearly as well just wanted something with less overlap with my 160mm AM/FR bike.

The other two in that travel category with 27.5" wheels I liked were the Turner Flux and Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt but they only come in aluminum for now.
+1 on KRobs comments, but add to it Pivot Mach 5.7 and Mach 6. In the end went with the 5010c and have loved every ride with this bike!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm going to talk to my dealer (Jared at Las Vegas Cyclery) and see what it would cost to swap out for the 34 TALAS and lower it to 140-110mm. I think for my purposes and my weight and how I will use this bike I could live with the 32 130mm Float CTD that comes with it as I was pretty impressed with that fork when I test rode the 5010 at Interbike. However, I always like a stiffer chasis fork if I can get it without too much weight (or cost) penalty. 10 more mm of travel won't hurt either.
Krob
I'm sure you already know there is a "new" Talas about to come out
I don't really have any more info then that other then it should arrive by May

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Solo carbon with XX1 build. Coming from a 2010 Yeti 575. This is the best all around bike I've ever owned. Perfect amount of rear suspension travel with no pedal bob. I think front could use a little more travel and maybe benefit from some added stiffness. I am swapping a Fox 34 140mm from my wife's new Yeti SB 75 and hoping for the best. I think this bike will be a great one for your purposes. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I debated between the 5010 and the Bronson (both XO1 builds) also and ended up with the Bronson. I felt what little advantage the 5010 delivered climbing did not outshine what the Bronson delivered on the descent but if I was starting my search now I would be hard pressed not to give the 2015 Cannondale Trigger 275 a hard look. I love my Bronson and I couldn't see trading it anytime soon but that Trigger is a pretty friggin sweet ride!

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 140mm 5010c

Yup go for it. Not one thing bad to say about it. Here's mine with a Pike lowered to 140. And BTW it doesn't just climb well, it rips descents damn well!
P1200491.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts