Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know the economy sucks, but I have dreamed about moving up to the mountains (at least close to the mountains) for years, so my wife and I are really thinking about loading up and heading west. We just got back from 10 days in Boulder/Denver/Copper and I could barely stand to leave. I know finding a job is going to be tough, but good companies are always looking for talent. I'll need to be somewhat close to the city as I am an IT Manager so I'll need to find a gig. I'm looking for specific areas, neighborhoods (i.e. Golden or more specific neighborhoods) that are close to A. Good trails, would like to be able to ride from my garage to some sweet singletrack B. A whitewater park would be good as well (which is why I brought up Golden) If anyone knows of any great employers that I should check out I'd really appreciate that info as well. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Have a good one,
Pat

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
I don't live there but you cannot go wrong with Golden. Really, anywhere in or around Denver is great. I'm not big on the Springs but many live there and love it. I prefer the Denver areas and to a degree, the Boulder area. Let us know when you land here. You're welcome to join up for any rides.

Golden and western Lakewood will give you easy access to a ton of trails.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha Ha, the economy is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I have a good job here in KY not sure I'll have much luck finding one out there. If I do though, I'll use whatever excuse I need to get out there.

·
now in superlight!
130 Posts
Don't worry jp....sarcasm is terminal in his family!!! :D actually Golden has been one of the warmer real estate areas over the last few years- things could be pricey. The trade off is access to C470 which could get you south to the tech center and I70 which gets you to downtown for work routes...housing is a little cheaper a bit farther east- Lakewood-Arvada-Wheatridge...Good luck though! riders are always welcome here.:thumbsup:

·
Heathen
768 Posts
Hit up Lakewood/Green Mountain area. Much cheaper and less smelly than Golden. And during the summer, much quieter too. Plus you still have semi-quick access to the big highways and the weekly T.I.T.S. ride starts here.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
jpcoll01 said:
The state not the jelly....
You'll learn quick if you move here that most people who post regularly on this forum ride together (lots of group rides, so its easy to meet people). Since most of us know each other, we give each other a lot of sh!t. So don't take it personal:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Not to come off as a knowitall, but have you done much IT job searching out here? Have you mapped where most of those jobs are? Chances are they are in the Tech Center, which is Littleton/Englewood. Which is not a pleasant commute from Golden. Yeah, there are IT jobs in the Denver area, but you'll probably notice there are more down south.

Also, you should take into consideration that companies rarely hire "managers" off the street. They are typically promoted from within due to proprietary knowledge and experience needed in that company. So you may have to swallow some pride and take a lower-level job and work your way back up again (you probably already knew that).

Lots of people are like you and want to move to CO. Competition is tough, even if you know the right people. All the recent layoffs don't help either. I know peeps who have BS degrees and can't even get a job at Costco or Target. By the way CO has the most BS degrees per capita than any other state (or some kind of statistic like that).

Just a little "straight talk" from sylentk....Buenas suerte!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the info, I know finding a job isn't going to be easy in this market, again that's why I'm easing into this. Really, I could probably work out a work from home with my current employer as I manage teams in 3 locations anyway, but a relo package would be sweet (but hard to come by). I've put a couple feelers out with some folks from grad school that live in the area, hopefully something will pan out. Again, I do appreciate the feedback and my wife would say I'm a smarta$$ as well so the comments aren't bothering me at all. Keep the info coming.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@SylentK
Are there good locations in the Littleton/Englewood area that have easy access to trails, good road riding, and a whitewater park that is an easy drive? I really want to have the ability to teach my kids to kayak and work on play moves close to my house.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'm not sure about kayak stuff, not really my thing. Hopefully someone else can post about that.

Wait a minute...Isn't there a 'whitewater park' by REI? That's right off I-25 & 14th-ish, downtown.

It's not like Englewood is a bad place. They've got the highly touted Cherry Creek school system. And according to the book "Millionaire Mind" Englewood has one of the highest concentration of millionaires in the country. They probably all work in the tech center or play for the Broncos/Nugs/Avs. See the post about Shanahan getting canned. His 35k sq ft house is in Englewood.

1,328 Posts
steadyflow said:
Golden rocks....nice small community feel with the best trail access IMO. Yes more expensive than Lakewood, but the real estate is appreciating in Golden.....so you will pay more, but you will also own an appreciating asset unlike most of the areas around Golden.
Wonder what that eventual 470/NW Pkwy connector will do to real estate values.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Walt Disney's Frozen Head said:
Wonder what that eventual 470/NW Pkwy connector will do to real estate values.
That's if it happens....this has been discussed at length on here and the city of Golden is in a good position based on some recent legal actions against CDOT. Time will tell, but Golden has a pretty good plan for the section of highway.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Golden will meet your requirements of close singletrack and whitewater park. Although its not IN the mountains, it is surrounded in all directions by mountains, giving it that small mountain town feel.

The Realestate is hot here. One of our resident Realestate guys runs studies on all the neighborhoods in Golden; most are completely bucking the realistate fall. 90% of the homes here are going up in price (which doesn't make it easy for you, but is nice once you get one).

There is a huge concetration of mtn bikers here. in my hood alone, there are probably 40 active guys. There's a group on here that all live in Golden and we congregate regularly at one of the watering holes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.