Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading the drivetrain on my bike. Right now I have Alivio shifters, crankset, and front derailleur, and Deore rear derailleur. I have noticed that the front derailleur is near imposible to keep tuned where It shifts cleanly without any rub in the top ring, and it seams to come out of adjustment very quickly for no reason. The rear derailur is okay most of the time. The cranks I guess are fine, but I might as well upgrade it all at once. What are your thoughts on an upgrade like this? I am going to gain anything on it or am I just wasting 300.00?

BTW: Mainly looking at an upgrade to SRAM stuff, looks very nice from what i've seen.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Vulcan said:
I am considering upgrading the drivetrain on my bike. Right now I have Alivio shifters, crankset, and front derailleur, and Deore rear derailleur. I have noticed that the front derailleur is near imposible to keep tuned where It shifts cleanly without any rub in the top ring, and it seams to come out of adjustment very quickly for no reason. The rear derailur is okay most of the time. The cranks I guess are fine, but I might as well upgrade it all at once. What are your thoughts on an upgrade like this? I am going to gain anything on it or am I just wasting 300.00?

BTW: Mainly looking at an upgrade to SRAM stuff, looks very nice from what i've seen.
Compare the cost of the upgrade to the cost of the whole bike. Buying the parts piecemeal can get very expensive. If the parts are worn out and therefore not working, then yeah, replacing the worn stuff might still be cheaper than buying a new bike.

If the only real problem you are having is with the front shifter, you could replace the derailleur with an LX for not a lot of bucks, but that still may not fix the problem. What might be a bigger improvement would be simply to replace the front shifter with a SRAM twist shifter that has the ratchet adjust. The twist shifter allows you to fine tune the front der. position to eliminate rub, which the Shimano units don't have. One of my friends runs a mis-matched system like this and likes it. It should be relatively cheap. A bike shop should be able to get the part for you. Or, you could get a shifter set and new SRAM rear der if you wanted to switch to SRAM.

Personally, I wouldn't replace the crank unless it's worn out.

Kathy :^P

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Not if you buy a cheapo bike

Lucky said:
Compare the cost of the upgrade to the cost of the whole bike. Buying the parts piecemeal can get very expensive. If the parts are worn out and therefore not working, then yeah, replacing the worn stuff might still be cheaper than buying a new bike.

If the only real problem you are having is with the front shifter, you could replace the derailleur with an LX for not a lot of bucks, but that still may not fix the problem. What might be a bigger improvement would be simply to replace the front shifter with a SRAM twist shifter that has the ratchet adjust. The twist shifter allows you to fine tune the front der. position to eliminate rub, which the Shimano units don't have. One of my friends runs a mis-matched system like this and likes it. It should be relatively cheap. A bike shop should be able to get the part for you. Or, you could get a shifter set and new SRAM rear der if you wanted to switch to SRAM.

Personally, I wouldn't replace the crank unless it's worn out.

Kathy :^P
I learned my lesson. I bought a new bike in order to head of repairs on the old bike. But the new bike is a Giant Yukon. So stuff seems to be breaking all the same. If you're buying new to fend off repair costs, you'll probably need to spend in the $600-$1000 range rather in the $500 and below range.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point... I'm probably going to get a Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 which runs about 1500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts