Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
background: longtime MBTer that got out of the game for a few years due to a back injury. Back is slowly getting better; however, I find my 29er alum hardtail harsh and not comfy.

I have a pugsley that I run with 29+ tires fully rigid in the summer, which is great except it feels like a monster truck and just rolls over everything.

I am short 5'8", a overweight--210lbs, and do not do any racing. I ride midwest singletrack almost exclusively. I never really found a 29er bike I "liked" and have always preferred my 26 voodoo hoodoo

I am completely out of it when it comes to all the new boost standards (now superboost?), etc. etc. Used to play the upgrade game with parts and frames back when things were still 1 1/8 headtube and QR wheels.

Looking for something that is FUN, versatile, reliable, simple, and won't be obsolete in 2 years, and won't break the bank--ideally under 2K

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

[Edit]: Now I just read that 27.5 is going to be obsolete. Oy vey!

·
Registered
280 Posts
background: longtime MBTer that got out of the game for a few years due to a back injury. Back is slowly getting better; however, I find my 29er alum hardtail harsh and not comfy.

I have a pugsley that I run with 29+ tires fully rigid in the summer, which is great except it feels like a monster truck and just rolls over everything.

I am short 5'8", a overweight--210lbs, and do not do any racing. I ride midwest singletrack almost exclusively. I never really found a 29er bike I "liked" and have always preferred my 26 voodoo hoodoo

I am completely out of it when it comes to all the new boost standards (now superboost?), etc. etc. Used to play the upgrade game with parts and frames back when things were still 1 1/8 headtube and QR wheels.

Looking for something that is FUN, versatile, reliable, simple, and won't be obsolete in 2 years, and won't break the bank--ideally under 2K

First, it needs to be said that it seems odd to me that you're concerned about your back, dislike harshness, seek cush and you're looking for a hardtail??

With that being said, if it was me, I would look at an RSD Sergeant V3 ($2000 USD complete without dropper) and spend the extra $200 for a dropper ('cause you want it to be fun). Run it 27.5x3.8 for maximum cush in the back.

To my eyes, it looks like a very well specified bike at that price point, with maximum wheel-size versatility: future-proofing tire experimentation as you seek your perfect combination of cush/fun.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
For that budget most bikes are decent. Personaly i would go used. Under 1,450$US you would have a budget for tires etc... I realy like my 27.5 +
-120 mm, 40 mm 3.0 front, 2.8 rear. For here Maxxis Rekon is wonderfull but check with locals for your area. Focus on a proper fit, my long legs like a brand your body might prefer an other.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lots of good bikes that meet your criteria, you could look at Specialized Fuse and Santa Cruz Chameleon for starters. TooSteep's recco of RSD is a good one, they also have a steel hardtail called Middle Child that looks like a lot of fun.

I don't think you need to worry about 27.5 going away, or having trouble finding parts even if it did. We can still find parts for 26ers.

Also, fwiw I'm 5'8" like you and get along well with modern 29ers... not sure what hardtail you're on but 29ers have changed in the last few years. As mentioned above, a short-travel full suspension 29er may be more comfortable for your back than any plus hardtail. Best case scenario you can demo a few different bike types and see for yourself.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You aren't interested in a 29er, that's fine.

Not sure what you didn't like about your 29er but it doesn't matter. If it was older I can sort of see where you're coming from but the newer geometry may be considerably different than what you had prior if you don't have any experience with the modern geometry.

If you are looking exclusively for a hard tail I'd suggest 27.5+. It's been a while since I've ridden my 26" HT but I'm pretty confident the 27.5+ is more bouncy than it is harsh hitting. Tire pressure is pretty sensitive though. I am lighter and get away with about 15psi. I don't have enough experience to comment on how 20psi would ride at your weight. For my weight, 20psi makes the bike deflect more than absorb. If your weight equivalent at 20psi is similar to my weight at 15psi, I think you'd be happy with it. Worth a test ride or demo day at least. I'm on the 2.8" model. There are 3.0" wide tires available as well.

Some of the newest hard tails share similar geometry to each other if not looking at a cross country style ride. I have no experience in modern cross country bikes, unfortunately.

I ride a 2016 full suspension stumpjumper 29er and a 2018 Chameleon 27.5+. Both bikes are size medium. The Chameleon has a longer reach than the stumpy despite both bikes having identical wheelbase. The Chameleon has a short wheelbase (adjustable). I'm 5'8" tall and the mediums are a perfect fit for my body geometry. Both bikes have nearly same slack head angle. Of course the reach like I mentioned and different seat tube angle, for whatever that is worth to you.

I mention that only because the sizing will be different than the older 26" bikes you're comfortable with. Again, not sure what 29er you have experience with. I'm pretty sure my 2000 stumpjumper HT is size medium and I feel like I'm too big for it in comparison to my 2 newer medium frames.

A Diamondback Release, Chameleon and the RSC Middle Child share similar geometry I think. I have not looked them up, but I believe that is the case. the RSD is more slack than the Chameleon by maybe a full 1-degree? Also the Specialized Fuse as mentioned above. All are good options, but the price point of a new showroom bike is $2,000+.

·
Rippin da fAt
10,490 Posts

27.5 is going the way of 29...

Have a look at RSD's website. There are some good options with the Sergeant and Wildcat.
At the moment there is a sale on the Wildcat, which is a full squish and might be a good option to go with a dodgy back.

www.rsdbikes.com

·
Read Only
0 Posts
27.5 Isn't going any where I love that wheel size and lucky enough to have all sizes in modern geo I love them all but a 29er is a 29er no matter what marketing hype they have in a few years there will be a resurgence of something old but new to keep the market from stagnation and people will buy it but I vote for Rocky Mountain Growler great bike for the price right now the 29er hype on mtbr is cancerous

·
Registered
513 Posts
right now the 29er hype on mtbr is cancerous
^truth. No matter what your question, 29"er is the answer. :skep::rolleyes:
The other fact is most mountain bikes are not full suspension and they choose to ignore us. Bad, bad MTBR i give you a neg review.
Sounds like ya'll might be carrying some baggage from different threads... I think everyone who's posted here has suggested a specific 27.5 hardtail.... heck it sounds like most of us own one.

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, it needs to be said that it seems odd to me that you're concerned about your back, dislike harshness, seek cush and you're looking for a hardtail??
Well, I do not know much about dual suspension, and have always thought it was overkill for the trails I ride. Perhaps I should reconsider...but there are so many options out there I am just lost in a sea of choices.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Well, I do not know much about dual suspension, and have always thought it was overkill for the trails I ride. Perhaps I should reconsider...but there are so many options out there I am just lost in a sea of choices.
In my area i know 2 guys are happy on their HT and use a thudbuster(seat post with a suspension). It is simpler, lighter than a full suspension. We are all on FS but some use their legs more i guess. I can ride 4 hours daily on my hard tails without problem.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Allmost every day i enjoy riding my 120 mm HT +. Just start with a used one you can switch later without a big loss. I like 40 mm rims to support 2.8 or 3.0 Here we have kijiji for adds online also facebook have pages.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.