Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across an 05 reign on CL for only $500. After reading a lot of reviews it seems like it was (and still may be) a solid all mountain kind of bike. I recently sold my last bike, an 06 fuji thrill lt 1.0, because it was too small and I felt like I was pushing it to its limits, but couldn't justify building it up because the size was off for me. So this reign is an XL, and at 6'3", 34" inseam, 190lbs, should fit alright. But, it's 4 hours away. Is it even worth the drive to check out? For $500 I could justify replacing parts if needed (read a lot about issues with the bearings). Here is the ad from CL:

This bike is a true all-mountain bike! It is built up strong and powerful for downhill riding, but also efficient and lightly enough for cross country. Six inches of travel in front and rear makes the bike feel cushy, stable, and safe. While it is well used, the bike has been well maintained and is still in good working condition. The only issue is that the fork could benefit from a rebuild (it has a very slow leak). Also, please note that I have changed the stem to a Ritchey 85mm stem since the pictures were taken. I am truly sad to see the go, but you should be happy to welcome it!

Components:
• Marzocchi All Mountain 1 Fork with RC2 upgrade
• Manitou Swinger 3-way Rear Shock
- SPV (stable platform valve) absorbs all the big hits while increasing pedaling efficiency over small bumps
• Avid BB7 Disc Brakes (8" rotor in front, 6" in back)
• Intense SR Comp 2.25" front tire
• Kenda Telonix 2.4" back tire
• Mavic 321 Rims front and back
• Marzocchi front hub
• Shimano XT rear hub
• SRAM X7 Rear Derailleur
• Shimano XT Front Derailleur
• SRAM X7 Shifters
• Race Face Evolve DH crankset (with bash guard)
• Race Face Evolve riser handlebars
• Ritchey Stem 85mm (not pictured)
• WTB Speed V saddle
• Twofortythree Seatpost (330 mm long, 27.2 mm
• 2 x 9 drivetrain
• Plastic pedals (placeholders)
• Lock on grips

I ride a mix of everything, nothing too crazy as far as XC or DH is concerned. I ride trails with climbing followed by moderate-technical downhill, but I also ride resorts a couple times a year with rocks, logs, small-medium drops. Want to get more into that kind of riding.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
it's a little on the older side, but still a good bike. The newer geometry they introduced (in 2008 i believe?) was a little lighter, but not such a huge difference that you shouldn't get the bike. The brakes are mechanical which is a bit less great than hydraulic, and the leaky fork can be fixed at home yourself for about $40 if you can find the replacement seals. He said it has been well maintained, but that is only half true if he has a fork seal leak. Just something to consider.

The only other thing I might say is that you're probably going to be spending around $100 in gas getting there and back, and that's with a rather fuel efficient car. If you have a big bro-dozer truck, you're looking at a lot more than that. If there is nothing around your immediate area, then I say it's worth further consideration. Chances are, if you drive all the way out there, you will get the bike regardless of whether or not it ends up being what you want. That can be a bit dangerous, as the bike may be a piece of crap when you arrive. If there are other bikes for sale in your area, I'd probably try them first.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My brother in law has an 05 Reign (also bought used). As I recall, the frame bearings (for the rear suspension) were shot on his when it was received. Considering the age of a well used 05 Reign, I'd be concerned about the areas on the frame that accept the bearings. They have been known to ovalize when not maintained.

Other than that, it's a great bike. I have an 06, and we both rely on our bikes to tame technical sections (basically give us more slack due to the lack of skill).

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm still rolling mine. Every year or so it gets an upgrade. I built my 2005 from a Wheel World frame purchase. I have never seen one broken. Yes, it is heavy, and the redesign was great, but they are very good bikes. I have 2 friends with Santa Cruz bikes. One has a Blur LT the other has a Nomad (both aluminum). The Reign fits right in the middle. The best part is mine cost about $1000 less. I am 6'1" and ride a Large. You should be right on the size. Mine is built a little more on the XC side, but still hits the scale right at 30#. I have a TALAS 36 RC2 and a Reverb on mine so I use the term XC loosely.

If you can find a gently used Reign for $500, you should jump on it. See if he'll meet you half way and offer to buy him lunch.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Code:
On the bearing thing. Enduro sells a set of replacements that can be changed in under an hour. I did mine within the first year of use, so they weren't blown out yet. Check for slop when you test ride.
Yep, Enduro bearings are great. That's what we put in my brother in law's bike. Our rigs are on the heavy side at about 37 lbs each. But then again, my 160mm Marz Bomber 55r with the open bath mod weighs like 7 lbs all by itself.

The 05 shock basket is IMO better than my 06, which has the shock totally exposed (if not for a plastic cover).

It's just that the OP is 4 hours away from the bike... that's a lot of grief if the bike turns out to be a dud.

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
I ran my 05 Reign with a Marz 66 180mm fork, and there's almost nowhere you couldn't take it. I'll echo the bearing concern - just keep an eye on them and keep a spare set of Enduro bearings and you'll be good. One of my favorite rides ever, that bike. If it's in decent shape, it's a great deal....

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
LOL. Small world.

That is my son's bike (used to be mine). We got two of them at the same time and built them up together. I sold his frame a year or so ago, and gave him mine because it had less wear and tear than his did. It's not a garage queen, but those bikes can take some abuse.

It already has Enduro bearings in the pivots.

As stated in the ad, the fork could use some service, but it has an RC2 upgrade that was done by the guys at Marzocchi when they were here in Santa Clarita. It's a really nice 20mm fork that works great when fresh. The good news for the OP is that Marz is now located down near Long Beach which is right next door to where he lives. I am mailing him the Ritchey Severe Conditions stem (mentioned in the ad) tomorrow :~).

At 6'3", it would be a perfect fit. I'm closer to 6'5" and it was always a little on the small side for me (as are most bikes).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to get first hand experience of the bike!

Unfortunately, due to too many offers the price has been raised to $750 OBO. I can't justify offering much more than the $500 at the moment, sight unseen, with quite a bit of traveling in between. At $500 I was fairly comfortable making the drive to check it out, knowing it's an older bike that might take a bit of work to "freshen up." Bummer. Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.