Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm in the process of converting. I've got a question. How do I connect my chainring to my crank. If I use the nuts and bolt piece that was used, the "nut" piece is to long and the bolt stops going in before its tight enough.
Its kind of hard to explain, but maybe the pics will help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You'll need "single chainring bolts" which are shorter. I would also suggest you get a single speed chainring rather than try to use what looks like a well worn ramped chainring, you'll have better luck keeping the chain on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you guys are awesome, thanks for the fast responses
btw - veloterra, I'm going for a budget build, this is my first ss and if I like it i will definitely buy a new chainring, this one is partially missing some teeth, but it should work long enough for me to decide

·
Registered
23 Posts
veloterra said:
You'll need "single chainring bolts" which are shorter. I would also suggest you get a single speed chainring rather than try to use what looks like a well worn ramped chainring, you'll have better luck keeping the chain on.
I'll second that, if you plan to stay single speed invest the $$$ in to a single speed chainring and cog. Your time on the trail will be much happier :D

·
leashem
78 Posts
I'm sorry but I just stopped laughing after taking a closer look at your chainring. For sure give it a whirl but seriously go to your LBS and get the bolts and pick up a new single speed specific chainring. I converted a 15 year old Parkpre sledge hammer into a single speed and did the same thing you did with an old crank I had lying around. 2 years later I'm still riding it nearly everyday.

·
leashem
78 Posts
I'm sorry but I just stopped laughing after taking a closer look at your chainring. For sure give it a whirl but seriously go to your LBS and get the bolts and pick up a new single speed specific chainring. I converted a 15 year old Parkpre sledge hammer into a single speed and did the same thing you did with an old crank I had lying around. 2 years later I'm still riding it nearly everyday. (With a new chainring of course)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.