Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats to Survivor: Matt Klymson Santa Cruz HellRide!

Matt successfully completed the Santa Cruz HellRide this past weekend! He is the lucky winner of a brand spankin' new Santa Cruz VP-FREE!!

The ride contained 12,000 feet of elevation, and for you Nor-Cal locals, included 8 and a half loops of Soquel Demo Forest! It must have been close to 90 degrees in the sun on Saturday!

Congrats Matt! You earned it!

-g

(here's a photo of Matt, early in the ride 'cuz he's still smiling!)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
8 and a half loops of Soquel Demo Forest!

i suppose they climbed out Hihn 8 times? more like death march.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Way To Go Matt !!!

.....congrats, job well done. How'd Mark do?

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
darn, I thought they were going to head up to downieville (Wier's homeland) and go up and down twice (like 10,000 vert and 50-60 miles)...

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Sweet - looking forward to his post ride report or Why Wier is a Wuss

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hell Ride

There is more to follow... Here are a couple tid bits... Mark used his big ring for almost the whole ride, Matt used his granny 22f 34r. Not taking anything away from Matt but Mark and Kirk Desmond were at the top of every climb for 5-15 minutes before Matt showed up! Matt was smart, he had a strategy going in... keep pedaling, don't hammer and I'll get a 5000.00 bike!!!!

gregg said:
Matt successfully completed the Santa Cruz HellRide this past weekend! He is the lucky winner of a brand spankin' new Santa Cruz VP-FREE!!

The ride contained 12,000 feet of elevation, and for you Nor-Cal locals, included 8 and a half loops of Soquel Demo Forest! It must have been close to 90 degrees in the sun on Saturday!

Congrats Matt! You earned it!

-g

(here's a photo of Matt, early in the ride 'cuz he's still smiling!)

·
No. Just No.
5,327 Posts
22f 34r? No way!

Slayer77 said:
There is more to follow... Here are a couple tid bits... Mark used his big ring for almost the whole ride, Matt used his granny 22f 34r. Not taking anything away from Matt but Mark and Kirk Desmond were at the top of every climb for 5-15 minutes before Matt showed up! Matt was smart, he had a strategy going in... keep pedaling, don't hammer and I'll get a 5000.00 bike!!!!
I would never stoop that low! I swear it was only a 32t big cog on the back. ;)

Awesome weekend in every respect. Huge thanks to the entire Santa Cruz and MTBR gangs who treated me like a king throughout the whole event.

MK

·
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
403 Posts
Congrats! How long did the ride wind up being? I'm currently saving my pennies for my own VP-free :-D

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
8.5 loops?

That ride rocks but 8.5 loops? OUCH.

Congrats to Matt, great accomplishment! Enjoy the new rig!

Weir in bigring the whole time? OUCH.

b.

·
No. Just No.
5,327 Posts
Hell Ride ; condensed version

Racer9 said:
lol! Good job anyway. What was it like?
Hell Ride was a blast. Mark and the gang were primo ride shepherds. We probably didn't have more than 5 minutes of riding on level ground the whole time out. It was all about elevation gain/loss. Temperatures were maybe a bit over 80 degrees. Wasn't bad in the singletrack, but felt pretty hot on some of the exposed sections of one of the climbs.

Gearing selection was pretty much as Forrest described above. The first few times up saw a lot of higher RPM's with using the 24t in the back, and 28t when required to save the legs. However, by the time the second last climb hit the Hell Ride effect really started to kick in. I was living in the smallest gear I could find, a even through in a few minutes of pushing when my legs started feeling like they might cramp up from so many revolutions on the day. I would have taken a 36t at that point if there was such a thing!

The kicker was that at the bottom of the final DH run I took a wrong turn and became separated from Mark and Kirk. Without going into detail, they ended up reversing back up the entire singletrack DH looking for me to make sure I wasn't impaled on a stump somewhere further up. If you want to find some true MTB buddies look no further than these guys.

More details to come later.

MK

P.S. Don't believe the rumours about a 15 minute gap on any of the climbs. If it was so much as a second over 14 minutes I'll give the bike back. :D

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
Congrats, and I stand corrected.

[waves arms] I'm not worthy...

What route? 8 runs up Suffer Springs? OMFG, I hurt just thinking about it. Did you drop off the burrito?

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Of course he didn't use the big ring

it's a bash ring right? :p

Well done Matt. Bring the new ride home so we can all try it out on the 'shore ;)

Jim

·
No. Just No.
5,327 Posts
Route (I think...)

Fast Eddy said:
[waves arms] I'm not worthy...

What route? 8 runs up Suffer Springs? OMFG, I hurt just thinking about it. Did you drop off the burrito?
After pounding out that much pedaling I should know the place as well as the locals, but I think oxygen deprivation was inhibiting my ability to make any good mental notes. The bulk of the climbing consisted of 3.5x up Sulphur, 2x up Tractor, 2x up Hihn/Highland Way, and a bunch of miscellaneous climbing thrown in for good measure while we were navigating between loops.

The additional punishment Mark and Kirk went in for after we got separated was an entire extra climb of Tractor, while I merrily scooted all the way down to Badger Springs before realizing I'd missed the turn off the bottom of Tractor.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with dropping off the burrito, but ya, I spent most of the ride feeling like that was going to happen every time I opened my mouth. If you mean some kind of hucking, then no I didn't drop off the burrito ("risk management" was an important concept for me during this ride), never mind that I probably don't possess the skills to do so - yet!

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Way to go Matt. Congrats!

But now let's get back to the important stuff - talking about TDF contenders. How about that Millar eh? Was Lance faking on Ventoux?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good Job

Well done Matt,

You did the team proud!

You better have a quick release on the seat post, it is going to be moving quite a bit with all the guys who want to take it for a ride!

You took on the pros on their own turf and walked away with a new bike...not too shabby.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts