Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Fox 36 Talas fork, in R or RC2 spec.

I've read some web sites that say the travel for 2006 is now 160mm (up from 150mm), and the travel adjustment now requires less clicks.

Now I've seen a set on an Intense 6.6 in my local bike shop (lovely frame). I'm positive these were the 150mm travel forks.

Fox's own web site (www.foxracingshox.com) even states they are 150mm. Only the coil based Van is listed at 160mm.

So does anyone know the actual answer? Has anyone bought a set recently?

Thanks

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Not ready yet...

The current 36 TALAS is a 150mm fork with the "it turns forever" adjuster. I know a few people who are waiting for the 160mm, 3 position TALAS II to come out, but like all new products, Fox is having problems. From what I've heard, Fox built up a working prototype for Ibike, but they're not ready for production. I seem to remember an early summer release date...but don't quote me on that. If you call Fox, you should be able to get an update.

I'm wanting one for my SuperD bike. The 120/140/160 feature (something I've been waiting a long time for) will be really nice, as will the uber-stiff 36 chassis. If Fox can't get the TALAS II working by spring, I'll be using a Marzocchi Z1 Light.

Of course, given the cost of the 36 series, I may use the Marzocchi anyway :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
The current 36 TALAS is a 150mm fork with the "it turns forever" adjuster. I know a few people who are waiting for the 160mm, 3 position TALAS II to come out, but like all new products, Fox is having problems. From what I've heard, Fox built up a working prototype for Ibike, but they're not ready for production. I seem to remember an early summer release date...but don't quote me on that. If you call Fox, you should be able to get an update.

I'm wanting one for my SuperD bike. The 120/140/160 feature (something I've been waiting a long time for) will be really nice, as will the uber-stiff 36 chassis. If Fox can't get the TALAS II working by spring, I'll be using a Marzocchi Z1 Light.

Of course, given the cost of the 36 series, I may use the Marzocchi anyway :rolleyes:
How about the Marz 66 SL? Fork shopping for an RFX, and getting as many opinions as possibly, in order to totally confuse things! :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just received an e-mail from Mojo, the UK importer and distributor for Fox. They say the 160mm Talas is an 2007 product and won't be available until September this year.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
kosmo said:
How about the Marz 66 SL? Fork shopping for an RFX, and getting as many opinions as possibly, in order to totally confuse things! :eek:
The 66 is a very lust-worthy fork (should be a great match for the RFX), and a great competitor for the 36, especially now that Marzocchi has lowered the AC height and....

Chiz said:
I have just received an e-mail from Mojo, the UK importer and distributor for Fox. They say the 160mm Talas is an 2007 product and won't be available until September this year.
...since it looks like Fox won't be releasing the TALAS II until September. The 66 is a bit overkill for what I want to use it for (and the bike it would go onto), so I'll stick with the Z1 Light. If I were more of a freerider, I'd be on a 66 in a heartbeat. It's just a sweet fork. The biggest attraction of the new 36 TALAS is the combo of instantly available 120/140/160 travel settings, the stiff chassis and the relatively light weight. For Super D it'd be nice to set it at 120 for the more climbing XC oriented courses, 140 for general, and 160 for the nastier DH type courses. And I could instantly change the travel mid-race if I needed to. The Z1 is a close second, with 130-150mm of travel, and ETA for those occasional steep uphills. The chassis isn't quite as stiff as the 36, but IMO the fork will probably feel a little better. Fox makes great forks, but there's something special about the buttery feel of Marzocchis.

·
Registered
312 Posts
'06 catalog - Sept. ship date

MarzocchiFork said:
Funny how when we recieved the '06 catalogue at the shop, it showed the 36 Talas with the 3-clicker.
For a product announced it at iBike and in the '06 catalog, if they end up pushing the ship date to Sept, I'm going to assuming they're having serious reliability problems with production versions. I want it badly too, if they're waiting till after the season to ship, I take that as "we don't know if we can pull it off at all." I'll let someone else be the first batch guinea pig.

OR maybe there's some other sort of BS holding them back, like a backroom squabble with Specialized from them not wanting their flagship enduro lacking the latest greatest features. I'm being a total paranoid cycnic here, but being in product development/marketing myself I don't let anything shock me anymore.

In the meantime, mtb technology is great already, so let's ride!!...hyaaa hyaaa

-kcavt

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yo b-fool, I'm on the same page. I would buy traval adjustable vanilla too, and how damn hard could it really be to engineer it? I'm going to stay true to my paranoid streak and opine that Fox doesn't make it because if they see the big future of suspension is with air, they don't want to undersut their own TALAS marketing with TA Vanilla. Air may not be as perfect as coil, although it is indeed lighter...and the added bonus to Fox that we customers have keep paying to properly service the TALAS cartridge. The longevity of the internals probably isn't as long as coil, so we also buy more forks. Now please excuse me while I go visit my shrink.

-kcavt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts