Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are now four pad choices for Avid Elixir/XX brakes: Sintered steel backed, Organic steel backed, Organic alloy backed and Semi Organic alloy backed. I know the sintered pads are the same as metallic and last longer, but are noisier. Organic are softer with quicker wear but less squeaking. But what is Semi-organic? Are they half-and-half, best of both worlds kind of thing? Avid says that XX’s should only be used with alloy backed organic pads because of heat dissipation problems of the magnesium calipers, yet Specialized specs the S-Works Stumpjumper and Epic with XX brakes and “alloy backed semi-metallic pads” (Specialized words). I assume Specialized is actually referring to Semi Organic alloy backed pads. Does this mean that the Semi Organic alloy backed pads are a better choice for the XX’s, even though Avis says only to use Organic alloy backed pads?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Guys, ever get insight on this? Seems like the question isn't answered definitively anywhere.

Is it possible that Sintered or Metallic pads in XX would cause the pistons not to retract as well? I have a newer (warrantied for sticky pistons) set of XX, and have sudden pad retraction issues upfront. New pads up front, too. Troubleshooting/hypothesizing, thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no real answers to this question, i'm not sure about your sticky pistons problem. I did have a problem with a failed seal or a rolled seal in the XX lever, that Avid did warranty. I wonder of the sticky piston problem is really a seal problem in the levers which inhibits full retraction in the calipers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.