Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
newbie here. I’ve ridden a Rockhopper elite all year and really enjoyed it, so much that i want to upgrade.
I liked the look, weight and components of the 21my Specialized chisel comp but see they have just changed the spec from Shimano components to one from basic SRAM drivetrain and brake components, and put the price up. In the meantime I’ve looked at the Canyon CF6 which has all the shimano drive train and brakes and its carbon fibre.
my riding is mainly road and dirt trails, nothing aggressive and probably wasted on me but I don’t like the look of Gravel bikes.
Im only shying away from the SRAM stuff as I’ve been told shimano is way more reliable
What do you guys think ?…

· Registered
15,312 Posts
Sram GX drivetrain and up is dependable. I see SLX on the current Spec listing. Search find nearby to see stock in shops.
I now see you're in the UK.
In that price range I'd look at a Ragley Big Al 1.0. Still good for your riding .. .. but you'll be equipped for a broad range of trails in your country. They're really fun.

· Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Don't buy a bike based on components. You can ALWAYS change components down the road. What you can't change is the frame. At all. Heavy frame? Can't change. Funky geometry? Can only marginally change (also may void warranty)...and may have other related unintended consequences. Basic groupsets perform fine. Each part is typically under $100 to upgrade as well, at least that's the case for Deore, SLX, etc. You could actually swap SLX parts on to the cassette you get with the bike for about $120 if you hunt around. I know, parts are hard to find. Not really, just do some digging. Ebay is your friend, Marketplace too. Big spenders are taking brand new parts off bikes in favor of shiny upgrades (kinda like you are doing!) and selling them at a discount. Plus, it's fun to learn about bikes this way - upgrading/swapping parts!

· Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
I'll add, if you really want to swap Shimano for those SRAM parts, keep this in mind: Shifter and Derailleur should be the same Brand and # of speeds (for the most part). In other words Shimano 11 speed shifter and Shimano 11 speed derailleur. Cassette will work with either SRAM/Shimano (ie. if you leave the one you got on the bike). Deore shifter and SLX derailleur. Perfectly fine. Like I said, Shimano and same speeds. You don't need to match the models like XT/XT.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate your comments. It looks like I will stick with my 1st choice the chisel comp, as you've said should something fail or continually cause a head ache I can swap it out (y)

· Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
Do you ride more XC style? Are your trails more flat or flowy and not too chunky? Just curious as the Chisel is definitely a XC oriented bike that you may find unnerving riding steep downhill and/or in chunk.

· Registered
911 Posts
I know you said you don't care for the look of a gravel bike, but it really does seem like it would be a better fit for your riding conditions.

The Diverge Elite E5 is a curly bar gravel bike that would run you about the same as the Chisel comp. If your aversion is toward those curly bars, check out the Diverge Comp E5 Evo. It is a flat bar version of the bike. It is also equipped with a dropper post and NX drivetrain which means it is just about a rigid mountain bike, but still better suited for the riding you described.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know you said you don't care for the look of a gravel bike, but it really does seem like it would be a better fit for your riding conditions.

The Diverge Elite E5 is a curly bar gravel bike that would run you about the same as the Chisel comp. If your aversion is toward those curly bars, check out the Diverge Comp E5 Evo. It is a flat bar version of the bike. It is also equipped with a dropper post and NX drivetrain which means it is just about a rigid mountain bike, but still better suited for the riding you described.
Hi yes I looked at the Diverge but they did nothing for me, I'd much rather the looks and potential ability of a mountain bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.