Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend a buddy of mine commented on how low my seat was, and i explained that it was in order to maintain control on downhills...however, he did mention, as i have heard numerous times, that a higher seating position can improve my climbing. My dilemma is, when my seat is at the "optimal" height, with my leg straight with heel on pedal, I cannot for the life of me get behind my saddle...the best I can do is stuff it between my thighs, which doesnt inspire much confidence and limits my ability to tilt the bike in corners. Am i missing something? how can I ride with a seat high enough and still be able to get off the back during downhills? i have a scalpel and a wtb stealth saddle, 6"0 with a 33" inseam, the saddle is parallel with the top tube and in the middle of the seat rails. Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I vary my saddle height. When I'm doing cross-country style riding with lots of climbing, I set it higher. When I'm doing more toying around and technical rides, I lower it. My saddle height isn't like my road bike which is set perfectly and never touched again, it changes with the terrain and type of riding I'll be doing that day.

As for not being able to get behind your saddle, you probably can if you really try. It will seem odd to have your stomach bouncing off your seat, but it is entirely possible to get behind it and once you practice it a couple times you won't think anything of it. You can probably practice this in the parking lot just to see how far you can go, and to see where you can position yourself. I think you'll be surprised what you can do regardless of seat height.

As for cornering, I've never had a problem with this.

You can do a google search on positioning your seat. Basically, you to position the height so that you can clip in, drop your heal such that it is parallel to the ground and have a straight leg. Feel free to drop this a quater inch or so. You fore/aft positioning, clip in, move to 3 and 9'oclock, your front knee should be right above your pedal pivot point. As for the tilt, this is primarily preference.

The most important part is that you are comfortable on the bike. If your not confident on the bike your not going to be fast. Play around with your position and see how things work. Try climbing with a higher seat position, is it worth changing things too much?

HTH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.