Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but the Specialized website lists Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large when you click on "Geometry", but it also list a "S-M" "M-L" etc... just curious as to what that means?

Also, at 5' 6", I seem to be in between sizes...the Small has a tiny cockpit compared to what I am used to (a 20.5" Eff. TT compared to 22.9" on my current hardtail), but the medium is a good bit bigger...even with a shorter stem, it would be a bit longer than what I am used to. Oddly enough, the Women's Medium seems to be right on the money for me! (21.8" TT) ...I'd have no problem riding the WSD version (it's not like it's bright pink or anything!), but I'm just curious to know the thoughts of other riders my size.

·
Registered
839 Posts
GregC said:
Also, at 5' 6", I seem to be in between sizes....
Im the same size and ride a med, fits perfect.

wayne

·
Registered
94 Posts
GregC said:
This may be a stupid question, but the Specialized website lists Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large when you click on "Geometry", but it also list a "S-M" "M-L" etc... just curious as to what that means?
The S-L, M-L, and L-L are the women's sizes, i.e. "small-ladies," etc.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Just a side note on the....

women's specific bikes. The frame is NOT the only thing that is different about the WS designs. Many of the components, handle bars, stems, crank arms, seats, brake levers, grips, etc., are all designed differently to accomodate the female anatomy. You might find that while on paper the WS bike looks like it would fit better, you may end up replacing allot of bits to get it to fit right!

Also which top tube measurement are you looking at. Many of the geo specs for the bikes include TWO TT measurements. One is the ACTUAL tt, which is measured from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube on an angle. The HORIZONTAL measurement is measured (I believe not exactly sure, but it is measured from a different point than actual tt) horizontally from the center of the bar clamp of the stem to the center of the seat tube. This gives a better indication of the fit of the bike in that respect with the speced components as the ACTUAL tt measurement doesn't take into consideration seat tube angle or stem length and rise. Anyway, the actual TT measurement for the Stumpy FSR, for example, is 21.8 inches for the medium frame, the horizontal measurement is 22.9. It sounds to me like you are comparing different measurements. Of course I can't be certain as I don't know what model of Specy you are looking at. I just took the SJ as an example. I would suggest that you try the comparison again using the ACTUAL top tube measurement for the Specialized geometry specs. I dare say that you'll find using the actual TT from the website will match up a little more closely depending on the age and model of your hard tail.

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.