Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all thinking of buying a 2nd hand Scott genius 920 2013 on eBay, so can't ride before I buy, I'm 6ft 2 1/2 (188cm) inside leg 35 1/2 " 90 cm, I've checked Scott's sizing chart and it says I'm in the large size but also xl category, any help or advice appreciated, especially from fellas my size with Scott genius's 29ers :)

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
I am testing a Genius 910 and I am 6'2" tall, 32" inseam, and long arms. I was able to get a LG to fit me very well with a 100mm stem and the smaller bike feels very good overall. I also could have ridden an XL, but that would have been with the 80mm stocker stem. Different vibe…subtle, but different.

I like the way a longer stem weights the front end of a slacker trail bike but I am not riding this in AM territory.

As far as your leg length, I am not sure when you would get too much seat post out of the LG frame. That I cannot help with. We seem to be a different proportion.

PS: I am typically an XL in something like a Stumpy FS (with a short stem like 90mm) and even in the Scott Spark 910 I was an XL, so fitting on a LG Genius was a bit of a revelation.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Because a Genius is more "trail" oriented, then you would want the smaller size that still fits. So for you that would be the LG.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
that's a tough one... i am your exact dimensions almost and i ride a bike with a 21" ST and a 25" (635mm) ETT, it's a "Trail" bike like the genius. That said, i ride on a 60mm stem and may even go longer (70-80). ETT on the genius is .6" longer which, honestly, would be perfect for me, because that would be similar to my setup with the slightly longer stem.

please note: i use a 780mm 30mm riser bar. -6* stem at 60mm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decided to bite the bullet and buy it!! It's the Genuis 920 2013 model, sellers upgraded brakes to full XT and upgraded wheels to stans flow ex on hope pro evo 2 hubs, apparently bikes only been used for about 15 hours and is mint not bad for £1650, fingers crossed it is what he says!! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What size was it?
You ever ridden xt brakes? If not, prepare to be amazed. I feel like mine could stop my jeep.
Posted via mobile
nah mate, only SLX, it's a large and I'm 6ft 2 and a bit, in between the two sizes on the scott size chart, really hoping I can get the bike to fit and I don't have to stick it back on eBay and wait till a xl pops up..
all the best mate,
burnsie

·
Registered
101 Posts
Because a Genius is more "trail" oriented, then you would want the smaller size that still fits. So for you that would be the LG.
I was under the impression that current trends in bike fit for trail and dh applications favored framesets with longer top tubes paired with shorter stems? The longer top tube increases the wheelbase and improves stability at speed. Also gives the rider more room to shift their body weight around the bike.

I believe most professional bike fitters today would advise a rider between sizes to go with the larger one (probably the opposite of the advise they would have given in 2003.)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I was under the impression that current trends in bike fit for trail and dh applications favored framesets with longer top tubes paired with shorter stems? The longer top tube increases the wheelbase and improves stability at speed. Also gives the rider more room to shift their body weight around the bike.

I believe most professional bike fitters today would advise a rider between sizes to go with the larger one (probably the opposite of the advise they would have given in 2003.)
I stand corrected. Lol

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I just try to go by top tube myself. For the price the OP got the bike for, I think he'll be all smiles regardless, and if the sizing doesn't work out, I doubt he will lose too much on the deal

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll let you know how I get on in a week or so, I think the TT will be ok I'm more worried about my inseam being to long, I suppose I can always stick a longer stem on and maybe a laid back seat tube, but shouldn't my arse be close to being over the BB??
Cheers
Burnsie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts