Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The front shock on my 2005 women's FSR XC is supposed to be a Manitou Axel Comp with 100mm and FFD adjustment. http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMod...pid=9674&JServSessionIdroot=qbm55bdhd1.j27008

But when I went to read reviews on this, I don't even see this model for 2005, like it stopped in 2004. The Manitou web site doesn't show it for 2005. The documentation is real vague, no specs, and doesn't say anything about the Comp model or FFD. Nothing on the shock itself says "comp." Someone in another thread mentioned a plain Axel with 80mm that came on a Novara. So I'm wondering if the bike was built with a lesser shock (80mm) or it was swapped out. I haven't ridden FS enough to feel the difference but I thought I was buying 100mm front and back. Is it kosher to sell a 2005 bike with a 2004 component?

How do I find out what this thing really is?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Probably OEM

MTDirtGirl said:
The front shock on my 2005 women's FSR XC is supposed to be a Manitou Axel Comp with 100mm and FFD adjustment. http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMod...pid=9674&JServSessionIdroot=qbm55bdhd1.j27008

But when I went to read reviews on this, I don't even see this model for 2005, like it stopped in 2004. The Manitou web site doesn't show it for 2005. The documentation is real vague, no specs, and doesn't say anything about the Comp model or FFD. Nothing on the shock itself says "comp." Someone in another thread mentioned a plain Axel with 80mm that came on a Novara. So I'm wondering if the bike was built with a lesser shock (80mm) or it was swapped out. I haven't ridden FS enough to feel the difference but I thought I was buying 100mm front and back. Is it kosher to sell a 2005 bike with a 2004 component?

How do I find out what this thing really is?
It's probably an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) item. Many bike companies contract with suppliers like Manitou to make a specific part to their specification. This is probably the case with your Axel. The web site may not show it, because they typically show only the aftermarket products that are sold to the general public. Search around Manitou's web site, there may be an OEM section. Marzocchi's site has one, but I don't know about Manitou.

Clyde

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
It could be that the fork is OEM and not shown on Manitou's website. Measure the exposed stanchion, this should give you an idea of how much travel you'll get out of the fork. It will feel more balanced with the 100/100 front/rear, but it won't be a overly dramatic difference.

You know, ride it until it blows up then buy a Fox or Marzocchi.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chad1433 said:
It could be that the fork is OEM and not shown on Manitou's website. Measure the exposed stanchion, this should give you an idea of how much travel you'll get out of the fork. It will feel more balanced with the 100/100 front/rear, but it won't be a overly dramatic difference.

You know, ride it until it blows up then buy a Fox or Marzocchi.
Truth is, I was riding this thing Sunday thinking how nice it was (my first FS) and thinking I wonder how a real Stumpy or Epic or something would feel. Need to decide before I get it too dinged up! :cool:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
It's a nice bike

MTDirtGirl said:
Truth is, I was riding this thing Sunday thinking how nice it was (my first FS) and thinking I wonder how a real Stumpy or Epic or something would feel. Need to decide before I get it too dinged up! :cool:
But you're right, you'd best decide soon. If memory serves me right, you've had the bike a few weeks, and have made some changes in order to get the fit right. If you really want to see how the other bikes compare, do it fast, and then stick with your decision, otherwise you'll second guess yourself forever. Overall, you've chosen a very nice bike, and if it suits your needs and you finally have a good fit, I say keep it.

One last comment about that Axel. It could very well be exactly as Specialized says it is, and the fact that it's OEM would account for the lack of a label saying it's the "Comp" version. With that said, here is the last line on the spec sheet directly from Specialized web site:

"Specifications subject to change without notice. "

Clyde

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
But you're right, you'd best decide soon. If memory serves me right, you've had the bike a few weeks, and have made some changes in order to get the fit right. If you really want to see how the other bikes compare, do it fast, and then stick with your decision, otherwise you'll second guess yourself forever. Overall, you've chosen a very nice bike, and if it suits your needs and you finally have a good fit, I say keep it.

One last comment about that Axel. It could very well be exactly as Specialized says it is, and the fact that it's OEM would account for the lack of a label saying it's the "Comp" version. With that said, here is the last line on the spec sheet directly from Specialized web site:

"Specifications subject to change without notice. "

Clyde
Oh okay. what is FFD anyway? The documentation that came with it doesn't even mention it, but says something about Evo?? damping and I have no idea which model that was for. There were like 3 pages in English, all very general

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Ok, ...swag....

MTDirtGirl said:
Oh okay. what is FFD anyway? The documentation that came with it doesn't even mention it, but says something about Evo?? damping and I have no idea which model that was for. There were like 3 pages in English, all very general
Scientific Wild Ass Guess:

I think your fork is made just for that bike, (although the Comp was offered in '04, they might be 04's), with lighter springs and 100mm travel. FFD is copied from the Answer Manitou website for the Axel Elite, which I believe your fork to be but in a reworked OEM guise:

Fluid Flow Damping (FFD)

Featured on Axel, Skareb and Black Models.

TPC derived hydraulic damping with compression and rebound damping pistons Low pressure, high volume system to eliminate cavitation and heat-related problems. Uses piston and ring design for improved function. Adjustable rebound on some models.

Axel Elite

Weight: 4.8 lbs
Travel: 80 mm
Damping: Fluid Flow
Adjustments: Rebound
Lubrication: Grease
Spring: Coil
Casting: Magnesium RA
Stanchions: 28.6mm Black Nitride Cromo
Steerer: 1 1/8" Aluminum
Crown: Forged Aluminum with Satin Black Finish
Axle: Standard QR
Ride Height (axle to race): 450mm
Color: Black
Bosses: with Bosses

Or it's an '04, as manitou offered the Comp in that year? He//, I dunno.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.