Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tomorrow I will put UST tires on my new stan's olympic wheelset. am I supposed to use the included rim strip with UST tires or only use the tape? the stan's website is not very clear it seems when pertaining to his own wheelsets.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Just use the tape and 5gm valves. The rimstrip shouldn't be needed. I'm running Olympic rims so far with non-UST Twister Supersonics, RRalphs, Jimmy Lights..on Olympic rims with sealant, tape, valve.

·
Whatever
585 Posts
Duckman said:
Just use the tape and 5gm valves. The rimstrip shouldn't be needed. I'm running Olympic rims so far with non-UST Twister Supersonics, RRalphs, Jimmy Lights..on Olympic rims with sealant, tape, valve.
Ditto here. The rim strip doesn't make sense. I got mine last summer before the rim strips were available so I didn't even know about them until now. Is it the same as the ones he sells for other rims?

By the way, I just used strapping tape from a local hardware store, went around the rim 2x, and haven't had a problem in 8 months so far. I'm using non-UST Kenda 2.1's.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks. I wish notubes.com would process my order for tape and stems. taking them forever! guess I will use the rim strips for now. the olympic strip is different, only 38gr compared to 50gr.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the strip...

the lighter rim strip is different from the original one. it is supposed to trap air better than just taping, the downside is a little more weight. with it you can use a bike pump to easily inflate most tires. with tape you might have more problems.

now to those of you running the olympic disk rims. any problems with durability?? i am 190 and ride southern cali trails. i'm usually pretty smooth, but i want a light rim that can handle any mistakes. any feedback would be awesome!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.