·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there need a friendly advice...

So far i i got my new wheels from Merlin Cycles

Crest ZTR with Hope Evo 2 hubs...

What do i need to go tubeless?

Thought they would come with a proper rim strip installed but they didn't...

So far i've taped them up with Gorilla tape and whats next?

Do i just install two valves and then a couple scoops of Stans sealant?

Inflate them hard and then let them seal?

Looking so much forward to ride these beauties!

All the best

Bjorn

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
And thats the "see if the tyre runs of the rim" method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stans rim are not a true UST rim, so some tires will work, some wont. There is a database somewhere, ( maybe on their website) that tells what tires work on their rims

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
The Crest ZTR is made by Stan's, so I'd get the Stan's tape, valve and Sealant. It should work perfectly.

Gorilla tape will work also. You need a valve stem that seats. The Stan's sealant works great. I hope your tires are up to the task.

Once you get everything mounted, you might need a compressor to get the tires to seat. Don't go crazy or you will blow the tire off the rim. Just pop it quickly and the beads should be seated OK. I use a valve stem with a removable core. After the beads are seated, I add the sealant through the valve stem, replace the core and inflate to the pressure I want. Lots of help in this section.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
Stans rims are very tight fitting, best not to use Gorilla Tape. A better (cheap) alternative is 3M 8898 Strapping Tape. The Stans valves work great but you can also cut out valves from tubes which work just as well. With most tires on Stans rims you should be able to inflate them with a floor pump. Use lots of soapy water on the bead to help them seal and pop into place.

Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Colorado
422 Posts
I have 26" Crest rims, and so far have had no problems mounting regular Ignitors, a IRC Mythos, and most recently a front Purgotory, all with an inexpensive air compressor, and using the procedures on the Stans website. Good luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm doing my first tubeless conversion right now. One wheel was pretty straightforward, the other one is fighting me a little. You can read all you want on how to do it, but nothing beats hands on experience.

I had to use a tube in the "troublesome" wheel to get the bead seated on the new Schwalbe tire, it sat for a couple hours. Then I removed the tube, and re-tried without it, successfully. I will say this much, it IS a little messy, just know that going in.

I'm still having to rattle the wheel around a bit to spread the sealant, every 20-30 minutes, to get everything tightened up. But it looks like it's going to work out.

The tires and tubes I removed were SO HEAVY. DH tires and tubes filled with slime. I swear just the tubes and tires weigh the same as my rims and tires do now! Night and day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.