Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

I have a few queries about what oil to use in my Reba damper. I serviced it a few months ago using Shell Advance fork 5 in the MC damper thinking that, well, it's 5wt oil.

Then I see this table:
https://www.pvdwiki.com/images/a/a7/PVD-ISO-Viscosity-Data.gif

that suggests that it has twice the viscosity (33.05) than the Rock Shox 5wt (16.10). does that mean that i've been riding it with essentially 10wt? It doesn't feel any different, and looks the same as the original oil that came out of it. Anyway, it's being changed this weekend for Maxima. Just wondering, thats all..

C

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If the oil you bought is actually the cSt listed on PVD's sight, then yes, it is much thicker than the original. The thickness change would mostly show up as a change in low speed damping, and by moving adjusters you could most likely make it a pretty small change. If it was thick enough, it could create excess force in the damper that could damage some things (bend shims etc) or push oil past seals etc, but I dont think there is any risk with what you are using...although the numbers are pretty different....twice as 'thick' as water is...well still pretty thin.

As you have found out, the 'weight' of an oil does not mean $hit. There is no standard, so mfg can call their fluids what ever 'weight' that they want. I am pretty sure however that RS is no longer using torco. IIRC they are using maxima now a 15.9cSt. ther is more info her : http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid and lots of great info all over PVDs sites (pvd.com and the wiki).

You wont find much info about the shell product here as they are not sold in the USA as far as I know.

Worst case scenario, you can use the shell as lower/bushing lube....and that needs to be swapped often.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Sad but true, viscosity ratings don't mean much.
If the fork worked well with a particular brand and type of oil in it, then use the same at service intervals. I couldn't find Fox's 10wt for instance, which is what a lot of the newer Fox stuff uses, so I took a chance on some Sram 10wt. It's good stuff, but I lost some compression control and I need 2 clicks slower rebound settings now.
The Sram fluid is obviously a bit thinner at the same viscosity rating.
I wouldn't mind so much, but it really affected the damping in the mid-stroke, on my Vanilla R.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what i thought. I'm off to buy the Maxima 5W oil and give it a shot. I don't think it's damaged stuff as the rebound, lockout and floodgate still work fine. As davep said i'll probably notice an decrease in low speed compression damping, I'll let you know.

That chart is good, gives you a better idea of what actually works with what.

Thanks for the input guys.

C

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Ericmopar said:
Sad but true, viscosity ratings don't mean much.
If the fork worked well with a particular brand and type of oil in it, then use the same at service intervals. I couldn't find Fox's 10wt for instance, which is what a lot of the newer Fox stuff uses, so I took a chance on some Sram 10wt. It's good stuff, but I lost some compression control and I need 2 clicks slower rebound settings now.
The Sram fluid is obviously a bit thinner at the same viscosity rating.
I wouldn't mind so much, but it really affected the damping in the mid-stroke, on my Vanilla R.
Fox used torco for a long time (the '7 wt fox was torco). The new 10wt fox oil is silkolene RSF pro 10 wt.

Sram oils are actually maxxima (although they also used to use torco).

You went from a cSt of 47.36 stock to a cSt of 15.9.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
No doubt! It's a pain in the .........

I was hoping to find what I want local from a moto shop to avoid paying shipping. Problem is most products don't label what the cst rating is!

I'm about to call the Harley dealer to see what they have. Not much luck at my local bike shop.

This is a plus for buying a selection of Redline oils. You can mix your own blend to match stock cst or vary from stock if you intend to do so.

Now if your looking for some of that OO grease for your Hadley roller free hub bearing you can find that at your local lawnmower repair shop for not too much money.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
fermenter said:

I was hoping to find what I want local from a moto shop to avoid paying shipping. Problem is most products don't label what the cst rating is!

I'm about to call the Harley dealer to see what they have. Not much luck at my local bike shop.

This is a plus for buying a selection of Redline oils. You can mix your own blend to match stock cst or vary from stock if you intend to do so.

Now if your looking for some of that OO grease for your Hadley roller free hub bearing you can find that at your local lawnmower repair shop for not too much money.

Cheers!
Thanks for the tip on the Hadley grese :thumbsup:

Are you looking for a particular brand/weight fork oil? Perhaps I can get some local to me and get it to you (maybe at Ray's...)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
fermenter said:

Cheers!
Bike shops dont have $hit. Find the cSt of the stock oil. Look at the PVD chart posted above. Find a few different brands that are within a few numbers lower (if you are lighter than 'normal) or a few higher (if you are heavier than 'normal'). Now take that list to your local moto shop and buy some oil for 1/4 the price of 'bike' oils.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
davep said:
Bike shops dont have $hit. Find the cSt of the stock oil. Look at the PVD chart posted above. Find a few different brands that are within a few numbers lower (if you are lighter than 'normal) or a few higher (if you are heavier than 'normal'). Now take that list to your local moto shop and buy some quality oil for 1/4 the price of 'bike' oils.
FTFY

+1

I use Silcolene in my dampers.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.