Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I am going to purchase my first new bike in years, mostly for commuting, but also to get back into shape and tour the beautiful back roads and trails of NH and VT. A local dealer has 2 interesting choices that i can't decide between. The first is a 2003 Gary Fisher Mt. Tam 2-9 for roughly half the listed price and the other is a 2007 Kona Jake for full price. I am intrigued by the possibilities of the cyclocross Kona, but am equally intrigued with the Fisher, which is a tremendous deal. However, i am really not that interested in riding single track, but would rather just stick to the back roads of NH.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How much can you get the bikes for? You say that the Gary Fisher is half price but how much is that? And how much is the full price Kona?

Are you aware that the Gary Fisher 29 is a 29er? (i.e. it has 29" wheels and not the standard 26" wheels). These bikes are usually suited to taller riders - is that you?

I guess you need to think about what sort of riding you plan on doing. Will you get into trails a bit more in the future or will you stick with commuting?

If you are only going to be doing commuting I would probably go with the Kona - it will be much lighter and easier to ride on the road saving your energy. It is also newer and depending on what specs you are getting will probably have newer parts.

Hope that helps.

Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, Todd. I am 6' and probably won't be doing too much (if any) single track or off roading. There are so many beautiful back country roads in NH and VT that one could spend a lifetime rididng those. From all the feedback I have been getting the Kona seems like the way to go. Being raised by a depresion era grandfather, however, I am always on the look out for a good deal. And a Mt. Tam for $800 seems like just such a good deal that is hard to pass up. A good deal is not, however, always the best fit.
thanks for the advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.