Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the usual size for cone wrenches? I'd like to have a few on hand as I normally end up wrenching on, not only my ride, but friends' rides as well. Normally only MTB but I have the occasional roadie in to adjust as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I just bought a complete set. Cone wrenches for some reason are very expensive for what they are. I spent the same on a Park set of every cone wrench that I would have spent on 4 individual sizes

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
Biggest thing that turns me away from double ended is some hubs need both sizes that are on the one wrench, then you're screwed :)
I adjust my cup & cone hubs from one side - only one cone wrench needed. I don't use my cone wrenches on the jam-nut(locknut)....do you?

Even if I did run into the problem you describe, I actually do have a full set(of individual wrenches) in the home shop - the double ended wrenches are for traveling.

Anyways, it sounds like double ended wrenches will suit the OP just fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ncfisherman said:
I adjust my cup & cone hubs from one side - only one cone wrench needed. I don't use my cone wrenches on the jam-nut(locknut)....do you?

Even if I did run into the problem you describe, I actually do have a full set(of individual wrenches) in the home shop - the double ended wrenches are for traveling.

Anyways, it sounds like double ended wrenches will suit the OP just fine.
Just ordered the Park double ended wrenches about an hour ago. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
487 Posts
ncfisherman said:
I'll recommend the double ended Park cone wrenches. They have served me well over the last couple years and they are going to be cheaper than a full set with individual sizes.

http://www.parktool.com/category/hub-axles
Hard on the hands but work great for years!

As for the same ones on the same wheel. Min are 14/15 and 16/17 and never ran into an issue yet.

·
Can Tree Member
847 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
Biggest thing that turns me away from double ended is some hubs need both sizes that are on the one wrench, then you're screwed :)
You are screwed, but only because you made a purchasing mistake.:eek: I have really old-school Campy cone wrenches, double-ended. 13-14 on one and 15-16 on the other. When you bought them, you were supposed to get two of each/four wrenches in total. I've run into axles where the cone and locknut were both the same size...in that case if you had a single set of single-ended wrenches, you were screwed.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Dad Man Walking said:
You are screwed, but only because you made a purchasing mistake.:eek: I have really old-school Campy cone wrenches, double-ended. 13-14 on one and 15-16 on the other. When you bought them, you were supposed to get two of each/four wrenches in total. I've run into axles where the cone and locknut were both the same size...in that case if you had a single set of single-ended wrenches, you were screwed.
If I ever ran into that issue I would grab a trusty Craftsman wrench. But I did check and none of my hubs have that issue. So I'm good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts